Author Topic: OSX (G4-PPC) remakes of 68K (Amiga/Atari-ST/C64) Cracktros/Intros :)  (Read 1506 times)

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Hi, I am totally frustrated because mostly none of the fantastic intro/cracktro-remakes do work on my system.
So I decided to compile them from the sources on my machine.
I sent an email to the purebasic-guys to sell me a version that IS working on a P3/1400 with Win98se (the current demo does not).
I also asked for a native MacPPC Version for my 1,5Ghz MacMini. It would be a big deal if I can compile them on the mac too. I think none has done that before.

I'll keep you updated!

Greetinsg
Doc
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018 by dr.zeissler »

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Re: Win32 remakes of 68K-Cracktros/Intros
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018 »
I have PureBasic 4.61 for OSX up and running on my MacMini G4 PPC 1.42Ghz OSX Panther 10.3.9!
I will have to complete my environment with librarys that are needed in order to get "music" played and gfx "displayed".
Hopefully some of them exist on the mac-plantform.

Greetings
Doc
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018 by dr.zeissler »

Offline inc.

• Contact me @ skype: a5recordings
  • Amiga 1200
  • I SPEAK ENGLISH & GERMAN as good as i can :D
    • View Profile
Re: Win32 remakes of 68K-Cracktros/Intros
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018 »
I will have to complete my environment with librarys that are needed in order to get "music" played and gfx "displayed".
Hopefully some of them exist on the mac-plantform.

i don't think so. the Libs would only support Windows
currently coding in PureBasic: GLSL Shader Maker & Editor Tool for further Demo coding usage

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
That sounds pretty bad :(

But I have choosen that platform and are willing to do some coding on that. There are none oldschool-demos/intros/cracktros existant on the mac, especially PPC!
It would be a cool thing, creating some stuff on my little silent and powerful retro-mac.

First I will try to do some old-effects like starfield and rasterbars. I found some sources and do some experimenting. Perhaps I can learn some basics with that.

I already recognized that is not that easy to download cracktro sources for PB and compiling a runable OSX-PPC-Binary.
I tested nearly all the stuff that is available for download here. None worked.

So I will do another approach. First checkout how effects are done and then trying to find workarounds for the sources that are released here.

Btw. this seems to be an alternative for some of the soundformats http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

OSX/PPC MX Userlib 1.01 (OSX) http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46937
An older version with less commands that has ppc support can be downloaded at http://www.w73.nl/pb/oldLibPBMX.zip
OSX/PPC SIDplayer http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=50626
OSX/PPC SNDHplayer http://xsc.atari.org/download.php

Offline inc.

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile

I already recognized that is not that easy to download cracktro sources for PB and compiling a runable OSX-PPC-Binary.
I tested nearly all the stuff that is available for download here. None worked.

because it was a DOS based scene around 1990 until w98. Purebasic for Democoding is a windows thing so far ;)
but i wish luck in discover some ways to get demos out of a mac .

currently coding in PureBasic: GLSL Shader Maker & Editor Tool for further Demo coding usage

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
I wish me luck too.

I contacted some other guys that have already some experience in mac-coding.
But a native soundplayer or a library is not funktional within purebasic.
So there will be lot's of work to transform that stuff in a purebasic library.

I think my approch of beginning with some oldschool-effekts is the best way
of getting anything working on my environment.

Offline inc.

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
i understand your point, but why doing this if all the stuff exist for windows? :)

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
My "latest" Windows is Win2k. I switched to the mac YEARS ago, before there was a short period of Linux.
I can tell you that it's not the same watching these stuff on a 27" iMac widescreen-display. (either with wine / or native booting win which I currently have not installed anymore)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/albums/72157692043441714

For me it's all about RETRO! I have all the old machines (Amiga, Archimedes, C64, Mac's, PC's XT/AT/386/486/P1-4 etc.) But I would like to "do" some cool stuff that is not done before.
I would like to use my MacMini G4 because it's a powerful tiny silent machine with 30 watt's. MacOS9 is now usable, MacOSX PPC for sure and MorphOS (AmigaOS 4.x should work too).

It would be a hell of a thing to port some of the great stuff to OSX/PPC.

Doc

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Here we go. I got the copperbar-example and I loaded it in my pb-setup.

First run: see Problem1.pdf
I googled and found out that "GetAsyncKeyState" is not usable on a mac, so I went for "KeyboardPushed..."
Result: problem seems to be solved

Second run: see Problem2.pdf
I googled and found out that "can't locate -lcrt1.o" indicates that the CLT are not installed.
I found out, that on OS 10.3 through 10.6 they are on the Install DVD and that's true. I installed them.
Result: problem seems to be solved

Third run: see Problem3.pdf
I have no Idea what to do?
EDIT: Seems to be my problem, but how do I fix this: https://www.mac-help.com/threads/library-out-of-date-rerun-ranlib-1-cant-load-from-it.104449/
Because you need to re-run ranlib whenever the modification date of a .a file changes.

Doc

Offline Knurz

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Third run: see Problem3.pdf
I have no Idea what to do?
EDIT: Seems to be my problem, but how do I fix this: https://www.mac-help.com/threads/library-out-of-date-rerun-ranlib-1-cant-load-from-it.104449/
Because you need to re-run ranlib whenever the modification date of a .a file changes.

Doc

I'm not a Basic or MacUser, but it says what you should do: rerun ranlib. http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.30/binutils/ranlib.html
You have some native *.o files packed into a zip-like archive which ends with .a. The Linker (LD) has to know which object in this archive exports which function (by reading an index), because it has to link your calls to the specific .o file (and it's corresponding function) in the archive. If the information is out of date, the linker would be able to jump into a memory of the archive that is void and your program would crash. ranlib updates the index for the archive, which should remove the error.

Code: [Select]
31300034@NL-00126:~$ ar t /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libresolv.a
gethnamaddr.o
res_comp.o
res_debug.o
res_data.o
res_mkquery.o
res_query.o
res_send.o
inet_net_ntop.o
inet_net_pton.o
inet_neta.o
base64.o
ns_parse.o
ns_name.o
ns_netint.o
ns_ttl.o
ns_print.o
ns_samedomain.o
ns_date.o

31300034@NL-00126:~$ ranlib -U libresolv.a
31300034@NL-00126:~$ echo $?

Bye!

Off-Topic: Man you have an archimedes at home, which model do you own ? I own an A3010 =)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018 by Knurz »
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head

Offline inc.

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
kleiner Tipp:

statt pdf kannst du auch direkt Bilder hier einbinden ;)
www.Abload.de

zb als hoster

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Panther (OSX 10.3) macht bei der Tastaturkombination für Screenshots komischerweise PDF's spätere OS machen JPEG's warum auch immer.
Ich habe mal parallel bei Macuser im Entwicklerbereich einen Thread aufgemacht. https://www.macuser.de/threads/entwicklungsumgebung-einrichten-g4-mini-panther-10-3-purebasic.802915/

Mal sehen wie ich weiter komme.

Gruß
Doc

Offline Knurz

• C= 64
    • View Profile
nice machine you got there with the A4000 =).

Did you try to update the archive's index with ranlib ?

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Thx! updating with "runlib" is the next thing to do. I upgreaded to XCODE 1.5 just recently.
Hopefully I get the "superuser" up on Panther and then the runlib-command. Let's see what is next.

I am sure that I will get something to run on my machine. Thx for the help from you guys!

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Next thing to fix (after fixing 1-3)...I am already searching the web.
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1066

http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/problems/ccp4onMacs.php#39
If your packages doesn"t experience a problem linking C and C++ code  together, then you don"t have to worry about this. On the other hand,   if it does, you"ll see this:
 ld: Undefined symbols:
 _fprintf$LDBLStub

In that case, you need to add -lSystemStubs to the compilation command.

How can this be done with purebasic?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018 by dr.zeissler »

Offline Knurz

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Mhh I don't think that this is a PureBasic related error. What I see is that some library that you're using in your Purebasic code is missing some functions, but this functions should be included in your C-runtime (printf, sscanf...). You can find this error with other languages too, this seems to be a Mac specific error. If you can add this -lSystemStubs to the gcc (I just assume purebasic converts your source to some kind of c/c-- and compiles the c-code) which builds the binaries you should be fine.

Another approach that wouldn't require a rebuild of the library is to repack the library, this is only possible if the library is static and an archive.
I don't have a mac to try this, but the linux archives accept this stuff:
root@vdr:~# find /usr/lib -name "libc.a" | grep x86_64
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a
root@vdr:~# ar t /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a |grep ^printf.o
printf.o
root@vdr:~# ar x /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.a printf.o
root@vdr:~# ls -la printf.o
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1440 May 18 20:13 printf.o
root@vdr:~# file printf.o
printf.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped
root@vdr:~# ar q libsupp.a printf.o
root@vdr:~# ar t libsupp.a | grep printf.o
printf.o

This would provide the libsupp.a (some random library I copied) with the binary routines of printf..

Viel Glück bei deiner Macspielerei :P

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Sorry for Off-Toppic
@INC => Ist das CODEF2EXE von Dir?
Die EXE's gehen vermutlich aber nicht of einem Lowend-PC der P4 Klasse mit Win2kDX9?
Hast Du da ein paar Specs zu den Anforderungen der CODEF2EXE (CPU/RAM/GPU/DX/OS).

I am currently checking out how to fix the last issue. Seems to be a bit problematic.
Perhaps it has reason why no one ever did old-school-effects, remade cracktros/intros on an old mac with an old os.

:-\ 

Offline inc.

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
Das codef2exe ist von mir. Das sollte locker auf dem Mac laufen. Alles andere, was das codef Projekt angeht ist unter der Führung von whitewolf entstanden.
Genauere Infos sind in unserem Forum zu finden.

Grüße

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
CODEF2EXE produziert doch keine MacBinaries oder? Ein G4-Mini kann ja leider kein Windows ausführen.
Oder meinst Du direkt im Webbrowser mit Java die Dinger anzusehen (wab.com). Muss ich da noch mal nachlesen.

War eigentlich dieses INC-Logo mit dem Punkt also (INC.) für PC/CGA anno 1987? auch von Dir?
Hab das gestern erst am EuroPC mit 1084 gesehen :) dat hier => http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=67628

Zu blöd dass die keine Ahnung vom coden habe, das hätte mir bei PureBasic sicher geholfen...
so fische ich halt im Trüben...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018 by dr.zeissler »