Author Topic: What are you working on at the moment?  (Read 262114 times)

Offline hellfire

• Sponsor
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • my stuff
Re: What are you working on at the moment?
« Reply #680 on: December 21, 2012 »
got a fourth  monitor connector left ;D
So you've got some screens connected to the nvidia and the other to the ati?
Never thought that would work...
What happens if you move a OpenGL/DirectX window from an nvidia to an ati screen? :)
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline jace_stknights

• Amiga 1200
  • PEEK & POKE are not MOVEM!
    • View Profile
    • ST Knights WebSite
« Reply #681 on: December 24, 2012 »
So you've got some screens connected to the nvidia and the other to the ati?
Never thought that would work...
What happens if you move a OpenGL/DirectX window from an nvidia to an ati screen? :)
The part is turning black on the new display. But I think it is just a patch to do : one of the screen saver is displaying on all screens together (not a copy).
At the moment, Nvidia is for the 22" center screen and Ati for the two 19" on each side.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 08, 2013 »
Working on...

Learning OpenGL ES and trying to get just about anything into the new competition.  ( 2013 UDG Challenge! )

So far i've only ever modified some cube source and done the triangle sample for ES...

However, i'm a full-time C/C++ coder, so that part won't be so bad!

Just under 2 months til the deadline!

Decided i'm going to keep moving without trying to overreaching and submit whatever I get going, good or bad!

Next up, making a full screen "grid" for the challenge using triangle strips.. arg!

(I know i'm going a harder way, but I want code that works like this for another purpose, and the challenge happens to let me go down the road of learning what I need for that other purpose!)

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #683 on: January 08, 2013 »
I was hoping that someone would choose an approach like that Canopy, it should make the edges of any effect you do look really interesting :)
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 08, 2013 »
i'm hoping it'll be super crisp... ?

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 25, 2013 »
OK, so i got the comp entry in!  Learned a lot, so i'm working on..

- rejigging my libraries so i can cross build against opengl desktop instead of opengl es so i can use AMDs gDEBugger i have a platform.lib (handles window creation, timing and input), an API one (currently desktop gl) and handles the binding/connection beween desktop gl and the platform lib (using the wglxx functions in wingdi)

got the above done for desktop gl yesterday with a few of other features (like being able to dynamically switch full screen/windowed mode via alt-enter)

next tasks

- separate the opengl thread from the thread running the message pump and a mutex access to queued input in a list from the main gl thread
- having the app be a win32 app that can optionally create a console, not a console application that creates a window
- create platform libs for GL ES on windows (mostly just a case of code refactoring)

- then i'm gonna port my udg challenge entry to desktop gl (which should actually take about 5 minutes)

- then with a copy of the project improve my "grid" code to handle UDGs as meshes (in a variable x+y size fashion too) and be able to optimise them properly with a x-axis like algorithm that stretches square triangle pairs into adjacent rectangles swallowing up adjacent pairs if they match, then a y-version that pulls these rectangles down if the adjacent row also matches (for UDGs this is a 'one-time' thing) 

if theres a "'proper" name for the last thing let me know! :)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013 by Canopy »

Offline hellfire

• Sponsor
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • my stuff
« Reply #686 on: March 05, 2013 »

An explosion effect for a little game project.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 05, 2013 »
really nice!

looks like a close up trail from a crashing plane consumed by a fireball

as far as my last post goes apart from an output console i've done everything, a rafactor to desktop gl 2.1+ / run rendering a separate thread / alt-enter support

however its still using 30k+ individual translations of a a tiny vbo with 2 triangles

so the next thing i'm working on is putting all the objects into bigger VBOs - to start with one per UDG  (but using code that will scale to be any size) and then do the vertex optimisation within those per UDG.. after i've done that i'll have learned enough to think about where to go next. i had also been thinking about timeline/sequencing and have ideas for that i gleaned from the assembly seminar videos

so creating effects/improving my library.

outside demo stuff i want to make a simple platformer a few screens wide to play with some ideas but i'm at least going to get the UDG stuff optimised first so i know my way around VBOs for the future.

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #688 on: March 05, 2013 »

:o

Wow!
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Raizor

• Founder Member
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 05, 2013 »
That looks lovely Hellfire :) Is the game aimed at Windows?
raizor

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline hellfire

• Sponsor
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • my stuff
« Reply #690 on: March 05, 2013 »
Is the game aimed at Windows?
Windows and Linux at the moment but should be portable to anything that has a bit of horsepower under the GLSL.
With the current amount of spare time and my general tendency to trash stuff, it's not going to show up particularly soon, though ;)
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #691 on: March 05, 2013 »
Looks great, meaby a few white heat spots here and there would work.  :clap:

Are those 2d sprites or is it some crazy volume rendering? Reminded me of Pyrocluster, which could produce some very realistic smoke/fire effects with only a bunch of nicely animated sprites facing the camera.
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Baudsurfer

• C= 64
    • View Profile
    • x86 Assembly language page
« Reply #692 on: March 06, 2013 »
Hello,
Lately I tried to find some general compression algorythm for x86 512b code (the size of a master boot record incidentally).
I got  some code working just up to the point I figured my choice for an old apple II compression scheme could beat apack, lz77
and lzss when you count the decompression stub, but it is useless nevertheless for it can't beat handcrafted opcodes.
It's one of those things I retry every two years or so... If anybody wants to pick it up (needs to debug the stub) it's here : http://olivier.poudade.free.fr/arc/bytepack.zip
Aside from that I have a some 70b 4bit miditracker player but I can't release it as such elsewise nobody will notice its real use, so I'm
waiting for some prod to pitch it in. I did a gui tracker under VB6 for it, almost finished. Aside from that I've started a space harrier remake, but it's already >700b without any sprites, and I don't know if I will pursue it. Aside from that I am trying to crunch in the doom effect in 128 bytes (I'm at 150 atm and it's fugly). I also have a 256 intro ready, just not satified with camera path yet, and no party in sight (seems more and more demoparties just throw everything that isn't an openGL 64kb windows prog in the wild "combined" category). Also I am in the background thinking of any use for demoscene.com or demoparty.com TLDs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013 by Baudsurfer »

Offline benny!

• DBF Aficionado
  • in this place forever!
    • View Profile
    • bennyschuetz.com - mycroBlog
« Reply #693 on: March 07, 2013 »

Wow .. very cool. Looks a little bit like https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4ssGzn

[ mycroBLOG - POUET :: whatever keeps us longing - for another breath of air - is getting rare ]

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline relsoft

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 07, 2013 »
That looks awesome! And scary.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rbraz.com/
« Reply #695 on: March 07, 2013 »
To me, it looks like some sort of FIRE from HELL!  :P

Are those 2d sprites or is it some crazy volume rendering? Reminded me of Pyrocluster, which could produce some very realistic smoke/fire effects with only a bunch of nicely animated sprites facing the camera.
I think it's a particle system using 2d sprites, they can look very good when done right.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #696 on: March 09, 2013 »
Hello,
Lately I tried to find some general compression algorythm for x86 512b code (the size of a master boot record incidentally).
I got  some code working just up to the point I figured my choice for an old apple II compression scheme could beat apack, lz77
and lzss when you count the decompression stub, but it is useless nevertheless for it can't beat handcrafted opcodes.
It's one of those things I retry every two years or so... If anybody wants to pick it up (needs to debug the stub) it's here : http://olivier.poudade.free.fr/arc/bytepack.zip
Aside from that I have a some 70b 4bit miditracker player but I can't release it as such elsewise nobody will notice its real use, so I'm
waiting for some prod to pitch it in. I did a gui tracker under VB6 for it, almost finished. Aside from that I've started a space harrier remake, but it's already >700b without any sprites, and I don't know if I will pursue it. Aside from that I am trying to crunch in the doom effect in 128 bytes (I'm at 150 atm and it's fugly). I also have a 256 intro ready, just not satified with camera path yet, and no party in sight (seems more and more demoparties just throw everything that isn't an openGL 64kb windows prog in the wild "combined" category). Also I am in the background thinking of any use for demoscene.com or demoparty.com TLDs.

I was browsing your intros on Pouet the other day.. Unfortunately I've got windows 7 so I need dosbox to run anything that uses 13h which is the only reason I haven't commented on them.  I'll have to take a look next time I use the laptop, it's XP and it runs these kind of intros quite nicely.

Hugi used to run some competitions for tinycode.. Going by the screenshots on Pouet and the fact that you're using sound I think your intros are quite an achievment.
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #697 on: March 10, 2013 »
Well, I'm afraid it has nothing to do with demos but I'm using my FB Gfx library to do it so does it count?

Ok... Maybe not!
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Xetick

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
    • Plane9
« Reply #698 on: March 11, 2013 »
Hellfire: Great effect! I hope you can reveal more about how it's made one day.

Personally so am I doing some experiments with instancing and noise for position of the meshes.

Plane9 - Home of the Plane9 3d screensaver/music visualizer
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline hellfire

• Sponsor
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • my stuff
« Reply #699 on: March 11, 2013 »
That one looks great, Xetick!
Challenge Trophies Won: