Author Topic: What are you working on at the moment?  (Read 260438 times)

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: What are you working on at the moment?
« Reply #760 on: December 24, 2014 »
Good luck Baudsurfer and awesome stuff Hellfire!  :cheers:

Respect to all you low level coders, my own attempts to dig deeper into the lower levels have pretty much halted, despite the numerous treasures waiting there.
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 27, 2015 »
well after about 3 and a half weeks of debugging reading and general messing around i finally managed to get my NES emulator in freebasic going tonight!!!  :updance:

i must admit i did a little of the running man irl :p.

its all very early atm.. no sound yet and only mapper 0 rom's supported but it runs very fast and all roms seem very stable no crashes. with only a few gfx glitches on some roms tested.

i was a 6502 virgin just a few weeks ago and didn't really know what i was getting myself into untill it was too late. the nes is very very sensitive too timing and its necessary too have proper vblank setup on the ppu before correct cpu emulation/testing can happen so early phase debugging was a nightmare i ended up coding a system that loaded test.nes debug file into the emu then comparing each of my register and the pc and clockticks against each of the ones from the debug log on the fly.. then when a difference was found my emulator would break, show me the opcode that borked up and let me rewind too previous opcodes too see why and where the messups were coming from. however it was all well worth it!

now ill keep working and when audio is emulated as well as more mappers and frame clamping ill post it up for you guys to have a look at.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015 by ninogenio »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 28, 2015 »
Some great stuff being going on here!

I finally finished what would have been my entry for the Symmetry challenge a while back, and have just archived away my code base to refactor it all.

After a period of brainstorming/research/basic planning I am making a couple iOS/Windows store apps. They are partially heavy on the GL ES front, along with some other stuff :) They're not massively beyond what I've already done graphics wise. But learning from the previous issues I've had I'm throwing away the C only ideal, and going for a light smattering of C++. The other factor is, the debug builds and whole thing itself will optionally have a huge amount of logging/diags. I already have a read-only windows console window (see AllocConsole) showing my output auto positioning itself in the bottom left of the screen, or optionally auto sized full across the entire left hand side. This window also auto-shows hides shadowing the main gl window. Later plans for a full screen GL console for debugging purposes where the windows console isn't available. Console input there isn't critical now, but could be down the line.

I'm not going for full cross platform, just enough stuff to make the other platform specific parts minimal.

Plan. Get the prototype apps running on Desktop GL, get it running on a ANGLE project desktop build to iron out desktop GL vs GL ES differences then (basically the what webgl usesa). Then get that running on "Modern UI" (metro) version of ANGLE project as I have a cheap x86 tablet i picked up on black friday. I'll use that to get the usabilty with touch screens dialled in. After that, get it running in the iOS simulator (I have a VirtualBox VM running OSX) and once at that point this is definitely happening I'll allow myself to buy a Mac to finish it off and launch it on iOS, apps in both stores :)

Although i'm mainly a Windows dev, I've done a little iOS/objective-c dev at work, and am doing an android project in the near future.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015 by Canopy »

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #763 on: April 01, 2015 »
Fantastic work all! Nino, that looks awesome! :clap:

I have been working on various things since the last time I posted here. I've been having a lot of fun couch-coding with Codea, the LUA coding tool/toy on the ipad. Made a number of useful applications for personal use, as well as a classic retro game called Padman (Pac-man for the ipad). ;D

I will post some more info and screens along with the code once I fixed some remaining issues.

I'm also making another attempt at an old favourite project: a 2d version of mario galaxy, which allows you to visit various levels of mario's long history as little self contained planets. I plan to rewrite it in javascript once it's done as LUA syntax is a lot like js.
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 01, 2015 »
a classic retro game called Padman

Judging by the name, I'm sure it's gotta be pretty awesome!  ;D
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rbraz.com/
« Reply #765 on: October 03, 2016 »
I'm trying to learn how to do digital painting, this is what I've done today using Krita, my precious little rock :).

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016 by rbz »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline inc.

• Contact me @ skype: a5recordings
  • Amiga 1200
  • I SPEAK ENGLISH & GERMAN as good as i can :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 03, 2016 »
Not so Bad. Go on and use different brushes.
I do digital paintings in photopaint.
currently coding in PureBasic: GLSL Shader Maker & Editor Tool for further Demo coding usage

Offline Optimus

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Optimouse Demo Site
« Reply #767 on: October 07, 2016 »
I am working with some friends on a DOS demo, contributing some additional effects code, we might plan to go for Assembly next year but not sure.
Meanwhile I started looking at SNES coding which is quite interesting and fun. Not sure I'll do anything with it soon, just curiosity.
From the other side, I recompiled a preview of my CPC wolfenstein engine recently and that made me be inspired to work on this engine, hopefully soon.
It's all in the plans, don't know what I will be working soon, I got a Trello account and made lists of things again.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 12, 2016 »
@Optimus: Looks nice :)

Working on Halloween compo entry:
  • Music "found".
  • Intro gfx logo - 100% done
  • Main gfx - 90% done
  • Coding - 50% done
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Optimus

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Optimouse Demo Site
« Reply #769 on: October 25, 2016 »
Oh cool!

I checked the halloween compo. But not motivated to do something for it yet.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: November 16, 2016 »
I'm working on this.

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 22, 2016 »
ive been building a z80 console computer for the past year, i call it the genioGS... its quite simple, it has an atmega acting a bit like my own custom uncommited logic chip... holding the z80 at startup while it packs my sram with machine code off an sd card then lets the z80 loose.. i made a custom graphics card with a paralax micro too this is still very raw atm and i think i might use a cortex at some point with my own oldschool statemachine stack based 3d ogl type driver for the gfx.. and the z80 can send io commands to the mega and the mega takes care of my io stuff.

all pretty pointless in the grand scheme with the way technology has progressed but i now know far more than i ever thought i would.

@kirl how did those projects progress mate? they look really really cool!!! i cant belive i have been away for soooo long.

@fryer thats awsome mate!!

how are you generating so much depth?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016 by ninogenio »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 22, 2016 »
Hi nino, that project sounds pretty cool, ive always fancied trying putting some hardware together. Would be great to see your results.

The thing I'm working on, it was kind of by accident. I was working on normal mapping by transforming the light and camera vectors into texture space and interpolating them across the triangle for diffuse and specular lighting with a normal map mostly using SSE code. Then realised i had the camera vector in texture space and could raycast through the heightmap of the normal map, pretty much like casting through a voxel height terrain. Turns out it's very similar to parallax occlusion mapping done in pixel shaders.

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 24, 2016 »
ha!  :inspired: thats brilliant fryer!

ive messed around with tangent space bumpmapping in the past but never thought of raycasting through the heightmap! it really adds a lot of variance to the texture.

i think i might give that a little go myself.

i was planning to post some stuff with my experiments on the z80. i just need to organize everything ive done into something meaningful, atm its a mess of wires and probes with loads of various notes all over my desk lol
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 24, 2016 »
I can imagine exactly what it's like, I used to build electronics stuff with various kits and breadboards. Mostly analog with some logic, never went as far as processors though.

It's surprising how simple the parallax mapping is to add, as long as your vectors are in texture space, it's just a case of casting the vector across each pixel until z>pixel height. Optimizing is more difficult and I've not really done that yet other than optimizing the loop as much as possible (using abrash's mmx trick for putting u and v together for texture lookup). But I need to look at the algorithm to see if there's any better way to speed it up.

The code is a huge mess but pm me if you want to have a look.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016 by Stonemonkey »

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 05, 2018 »
I'm still learning digital painting... :)

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline inc.

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 05, 2018 »
Yes, not bad.  which program do you use?

Here are some digital paintings that i made in the past:

currently coding in PureBasic: GLSL Shader Maker & Editor Tool for further Demo coding usage

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 05, 2018 »
I'm using ArtRage 5, it's cool painting program.
I've also tryed Corel Painter, which is awesome, too bad it's expensive for just play around, but who knows maybe one day.

Also your paintings are awesome 8)
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline inc.

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 05, 2018 »
ArtRage is really cool. I bought it last year.  The pics are also painted with it :D

No need for Corel Painter.  I also use PhotoPaint since 1996 or so because i hate Photoshop,  don't know why.

Offline boogop

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 06, 2018 »
I'm working on small code in Turbo Assembler with a simple plasma lol. I was sucking pretty hard with a big list of sine constants until I happened on a sin generator in an old prod by insomniac/matrix. But he got it from wally/rage (?? the old amiga group?) and I need to examine it in turbo debugger, because I haven't got a clue how it's working. Comments by insomniac.

Code: [Select]

ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
; CALCULATE SINE/COS - VALUES (Wally/Rage)
ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
mov cx,783Fh ; don't ask me, I just use it..
xor si,si
plc1: mov ax,65497
imul cx
add si,dx
add cx,si
mov [bx],ch
sar byte ptr [bx],1
dec bx
cmp bx,16383
jne plc1

inc bx ; BX points to the sine/cos-values

Challenge Trophies Won: