Author Topic: The Welcoming Committee  (Read 234918 times)

Offline dadac

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
Re: The Welcoming Committee
« Reply #1100 on: November 08, 2013 »
Well hello there.
This is my mandatory 1st post here.

I am a ~30y old dude from Finland. I found an interest in programming around 1991 and rather quickly found the demoscene, and became highly interested graphics / demo programming.

I started out with gwbasic (oh the agony), but after a dos update got qbasic. A big step was when I pirated QuickBasic from some helpful sceners @ assembly'94, and finally was able to compile my effects for a significant speed boost. From there i switched to Turbo Pascal with possibility for inline assembler, and life was good.
Then around y2K my interests kinda started drifting around, and I sort of quit coding for about a decade.

Meanwhile I did quite a lot of 3D work, and finally started to experiment with scripting in 3D-Studio and Rhinoceros.  The new found interest in procedural geometry / graphics generation through these software then evolved to a rebirth of interest programming in general. So a few years ago I started to play around, mainly with C# and javascript for opengl / webgl stuff. 

I was very pleased to realize how much easier everything is nowadays, with all the information readily available, with an abundance of libraries and frameworks to help with heavy lifting. And perhaps even I learned a thing or two since my early demo programming days, making many things so much clearer now.

And well. Here I am now. Ranting about the past like someone's grandma.
So yeah. Hello everybody.

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 08, 2013 »
 :hi: to the forum dadac :)

Interesting reading there :)

I used to do GWBASIC way back in 1992\1993 and was working my own kinda like Database(I still got GWBASIC Code Listings somewhere  ;D

Then I went on QBASIC to code text adventure which is much better than Gwbasic!

C# is very good one and there is lots of options for C# like SharpDX , SharpGL and also XNA too

Enjoy your stay and if you got any questions to ask then I am sure guys on the forum will be ready to answer it :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013 by Hotshot »

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
    • Combat King's Barcode Battler Home
« Reply #1102 on: November 09, 2013 »
Greetings Dadac :D
You are our 9001st visitor.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Moroboshisan

• Amiga 1200
  • C=64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 09, 2013 »
Welcome onboard dadac!... we all feel nostalgic sometimes, there's nothing wrong with it! ^_^
Your story started as mine, I did some qbasic 3D spinning cubes back in the days too, but sooner after that I quit coding for about 25 years now (life sucks, you know)... time flows, dude!  hope to see some of your new ramblings-in-code somewhere in the forum!

Offline Gore Motel

• C= 64
    • View Profile
    • Gore Motel
« Reply #1104 on: November 10, 2013 »
Hello everyone!

I've been programming in several languages for years (mainly Delphi nowadays, since that's what I use at work), but I really can't remember the last time I coded something fun. So this week I decided to start learning about graphics programming, which is new to me.

I've been watching demos and cracktros for a long time and I've always been fascinated by their music and visual effects (I usually work with Windows forms and controls, which gets boring fast). I hope to learn more about coding such works of electronic art.

Cheers!

Offline roxtonro

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 14, 2013 »
Hi all (0:

Thanks to the reply poster on another popular social media site that pointed me here, truly great stuff!

I've seen the whole scene come to life, from the days of old TRS-80's / ZX Spectrum through to todays pimped hardware... and hopefully on into quantum toys.

Started out in BASIC and moved on up to Modula, C, Assembly and a big long list... (saves me typing, and your time reading :)

I'm a language addict, but I found a slice of zen with the Watcom Assembler, which rocked because it used Intel syntax and allowed you to specify register allocation... it was a joy to behold.

Yes I am aware GNU C can do that too, but I have an allergy to AT&T syntax, plus DOS gave me the metal and that's what I was used to, until I collided head first with Linux.

Which brings me to ARM Assembly, I love the Raspberry Pi, and thanks to the Intel syntax switch with GNU C (yes we made friends over time) and a lot more registers, it's great fun! But then there's the GPU messaging thing.. *sigh* more metal please!

On the side, I love Gentoo and Haiku (not the written kind :0)

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 14, 2013 »
 :hi: roxtonro and enjoy your stay :)

Offline tryforsure

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 26, 2013 »
Hello there!

I'm 35 - 40 yo guy from edinburgh, scotland. I've been programming since the 80's, starting out with zx81 and moving upto bbc basic then risc assembly. in the 90s i moved onto c and intels cisc assembly, I did a lot of reverse engineering and wrote a few patches, i did some graphics programming but i was never very imaginitive, lol.

But now, I've not done any  programming for the last 10 years and have been getting back into it, recently.
I'm using purebasic at the moment which is pretty good for prototyping, but moving into a c enviroment, pelles c looks good.

I use linux, not as much as I used too due too game support, and also have a couple of single board computers, The Pi and arduino.
I also dabble in electronics and other stuff mostly diy.

Anyhoo, this forum looks pretty good and I look forward to taken part.

Cheers
dazboa

Offline Raizor

• Founder Member
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Raizor's Dev Blog
« Reply #1108 on: November 26, 2013 »
Gore Motel, roxtonro and dazboa - welcome aboard the good ship DBF :)

:hi:
raizor

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 26, 2013 »
 :hi: tryforsure, That was interesting reading :)

Purebasic is improving all the time and updating it too....

enjoy your stay :carrot:

Offline Punqtured

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
    • My profile at Soundcloud
« Reply #1110 on: December 01, 2013 »
Hi there :)

Really can't say why I didn't sign up here before now, but better late than never, as they say.

Well - a bit about me, who I am and what I do.
Name's Casper, I'm 36 years old (at the time of writing this)
I'm from Copenhagen, Denmark and goes by the name Punqtured. I'm member of the groups Eventide and Fnuque.

I specialize in size-restricted music, and I've done quite a few executable music competition-entries as well as music for 4k, 16k and 64k. Some of you might actually have seen some of them :)

My preferred synths are Clinkster for 4k and Quiver for 64k, but I've also used a number of other scene-synths such as 4klang, V2 and 64klang.

I've seen some of the work you guys do in here, and I'm really amazed at how helpfull people are - especially to newcomers. I've been in the demoscene since late 80's and attended my first demoparty in 1992 (The Party in Denmark) and still enjoy visiting parties (managed to go to 9 this year)

I always release the source-files of the music I do (I use Renoise) and hope it will help others to get inspired or learn from it, remix it, play around with it or whatever they like.

Having made music for a substantial number of years (never professionally, though) I'm fairly experienced, and whenever there's time, I'd probably be able to help some of you guys out if you need a piece of music, even if you're in a hurry. There's no guarantee it'll be good, but at least you'll have a nice little tune for your prods ;)

Well - If anyone has questions or simply want to say hi, do feel free do drop me a note.

And yes - I'll have to get myself a nice, suitable avatar of some sort :)

Cheers
Punqtured / Eventide ^ Fnuque

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
    • Combat King's Barcode Battler Home
« Reply #1111 on: December 02, 2013 »
Greetings Punqtured :hi:
You are our 9001st visitor.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rbraz.com/
« Reply #1112 on: December 03, 2013 »
Hi Punqtured, welcome on board!

Love your 4k songs :)
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 03, 2013 »
 :hi: Punqtured to the forum and enjoy your stay :)

Offline Punqtured

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
    • My profile at Soundcloud
« Reply #1114 on: December 03, 2013 »
Thanks a lot, everyone! What a wonderful welcome you guys provided! :)

@rbz: Thanks a lot. I'm glad you like my music. It's fun when people I haven't had a chance to share a beer with, know my creations :)

Offline Raizor

• Founder Member
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Raizor's Dev Blog
« Reply #1115 on: December 04, 2013 »
Hey Punqtured :) Good to see you here!
raizor

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline techristian

• ZX 81
  • Designer of Fastfingers Lead Synth for C64
    • View Profile
    • Music in It
« Reply #1116 on: December 05, 2013 »
Hi

Dan Laskowski here.

Google "Fastfingers" and my name and you will figure out who I am. BIG news !!!

This designer of Fastfingers Lead Synth for C64 also wrote for DCTalk

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 05, 2013 »
welcome to the two new musicians! :)

techristian> is that a commodore midi controller keyboard in one of your youtube videos? i've got one of those kicking about in a box somewhere!  (upgraded to a revolution mk-149 for wibbley dial goodness) i've also got a rockband 3 midi pro guitar that might be fun to hook up :)

Offline ryt

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 07, 2014 »
Hello everybody !

I have just registered so this is my first post. I first come it touch with coding in 1992 when I was 2nd grade. But I started to really code in 2004 and to build demos. In 1996 I received my first pc 486 at 66mhz. Even since then I liked the demoscene but since internet was a lot expensive I struggled to find some demos. I primary code in c/c++ and c#. I also have some knowledge of Directx and Unity 3d.

Offline STBasic

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 31, 2014 »
Hi my name is STBasic and i am new here and have tried to program for about 28 years. starting with Atari 8 Bit Basic and then on STOS on the Atari ST and then tried BASIC and BASIC and now use Freebasic.

I have not programmed anything to publish as i get stuck and then some over idea comes a long and then i start that project, so never finished a project to release to the public.

I have always wanted to make a game of be able to do things that i see on the old Cracktos on the Atari ST.

so i am trying to make a game on the Atari ST and i use Freebasic to learn more on programming, also i would like to be able to program in Java, C and be able to use PHP