Author Topic: The Welcoming Committee  (Read 239017 times)

Offline benny!

• DBF Aficionado
  • in this place forever!
    • View Profile
    • bennyschuetz.com - mycroBlog
Re: The Welcoming Committee
« Reply #700 on: December 06, 2011 »
Welcome on board, cyberpuke!
[ mycroBLOG - POUET :: whatever keeps us longing - for another breath of air - is getting rare ]

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
    • Combat King's Barcode Battler Home
« Reply #701 on: December 06, 2011 »
Greetings Cyberpuke,

There are some very talented graphic effect coders here who can give you a hand when you need one.
You are our 9001st visitor.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Raizor

• Founder Member
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Raizor's Dev Blog
« Reply #702 on: December 06, 2011 »
Hey Cyberpuke. Interesting handle :)
raizor

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ttemper

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 07, 2011 »
hey guys, bout time i found a nice place for demo/intro coding, ive been a mad fan since the c64 days, tried to learn asm, but couldnt.... now many years later, i have a will to learn and i stumbled upon this place. i only recently (this last week) got into checking out what was available and saw that purebasic and darkbasic were used also, i did manage to put together a nice bitmap font sinus scroller, waving logo, starfield and music... but for me darkbasic isnt the best choice (buggy as hell). whilst looking around for tuts + plugins for it, i stumbled upon here... so any push in the right direction is appreciated... programming language, tuts, etc.

not sure whats up with my connection (im from australia), but i cant access this site directly. (im using a proxy atm). hope this connection problem is sorted out real quick, whatever is stopping me, so i can get into it and learn to code some nice demo's.

i tried to post in the other thread with no success, nothing on this site will load for me, ive spent the last 2 hours trying to get this web site to work, i managed to get here via a proxy (plain text), so while its loaded, i'll try a post so my account doesnt get purged and i get banned.

not sure whats up with my connection or the website, but the host www for this site i also couldnt access. xilo. :/

i hope its fixed asap, so i can get to learning and be part of the demo community. very frustrating not being able to access it.

pce.

Offline benny!

• DBF Aficionado
  • in this place forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 07, 2011 »
 :hi: and hi,  ttemper!

Wow, that sounds really bad, although I remember another friend of mine in another forum had the same problem. He also solved it using a proxy. However, I think it was just a temporary problem.

I'll keep my finger crossed, that the internet problems will be solved soon.

Best,
benny!
[ mycroBLOG - POUET :: whatever keeps us longing - for another breath of air - is getting rare ]

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #705 on: December 07, 2011 »
Hi ttemper,

Really sorry to hear that you are having problems accessing us.  It sounds like your ISP has flagged the server that we are on as a spam site - I've heard of this happening before with sites that are on Shared Hosting, one site on the server could be an abuser and because all the sites share the same IP, the IP block stops the site..

IP numbers do change from time to time so hopefully the problem will resolve it's self as Benny said, for now though I'd suggest that you contact your ISP and ask them why we are being blocked.

Thanks for taking the time to make such a nice first post.
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ttemper

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 08, 2011 »
hey guys, still using proxy atm to access this site, so for the moment its working for me so I'm pleased.

like i said, I've been involved with the demo scene since c64 (the force/ikon visual/sabotage and a few others), i wasn't in the groups as such, but knew/chatted to guys in them all the time. even caught up on line with a couple from The Force not that long ago which was a surprise that they are still around coding for c64 and now PC.

i did have an attempt at learning ASM on c64, but found it confusing (i was only young), so apart from a graphic change, raster colour changes, scroll text change and a music/chip tune change, i did nothing more.

now I've got the urge to learn to make a demo or 3 or 10... whatever it takes i guess, like the oldskool fairlight demos, waving/sinus logo, funky scrollers, colour faded raster bars, etc idk... something like contex or blackmail or success demos back in the day, those things rocked (still have them on 5" somewhere too).

I've checked out c++ (i script TLC/bash and some c and Perl on Linux) so that's a good start i guess, I'm a quick learner, i put together a complete demo with bitmap font sinus scroller, figure 8 moving logo, 2d starfield and static and moving rasterbars along with a nice mod/xm tune (although the xm/mod plug-in doesn't work properly, doesn't compile the audio in the exe and crashes on ESC). but for 2 days of learning DarkBasic, i think i did well. anyway... to my point.. i think that c++ would be a lil overwhelming for me, so FreeBasic i think is my best bet to learn.

I've compiled my intro/demo in darkbasic, but the thing compressed is 1.5mb... wtf? and i cant seem to pack it any smaller. but I'd like to learn the same things i just learnt in darkbasic in freebasic (as noted above). any help is appreciated as i don't know where to start atm.

thx again.

Offline benny!

• DBF Aficionado
  • in this place forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 08, 2011 »
@ttemper:

It's cool to see another one here who is interested and addicted to oldschool fx. I am not a freebasic coder but there are a lot of talented freebasic coders in this forum who will be glad to help you out. I would suggest to browse a bit through the numerous thread/sources in the Freebasic board. Maybe also have a look at the TinyPTC Ext thread.

Good luck and don't hesitate to post your questions in the coding forums.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 08, 2011 »
Hi to all new ones! Welcome aboard!  :hi:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Raizor

• Founder Member
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Raizor's Dev Blog
« Reply #709 on: December 08, 2011 »
Hi  ttemper, that sounds like a real pain. Hope your connectivity issues get sorted. Welcome aboard the good ship DBF :)
raizor

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ttemper

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 09, 2011 »
looks as tho the connection issues are sorted now. time to start learning freebasic (and c++). thanks for the welcomes.

Offline coze

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 10, 2011 »
Hello there,
name's CoZe, old time amiga/c64 user/enthusiast, I mainly code in Java/Ruby, use Linux (custom Crunchbang on Lubuntu). I've undertaken a mission to write a Rogue clone. I joined to get the fixed AHX player, cause I'm planning to use my AHX tunes for my game. I've started with building the map editor in Ruby/SDL. Wish me luck ! (any pointers to some tilesets welcome !)

Offline Moroboshisan

• Amiga 1200
  • C=64
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 10, 2011 »
... I've been involved with the demo scene since c64 (the force/ikon visual/sabotage and a few others) ...

... old time amiga/c64 user/enthusiast ...

Welcome aboard ttemper & CoZe, nice to see more oldschool folks !!!

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 11, 2011 »
Welcome CoZe and good luck with your project!  :hi:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #714 on: December 11, 2011 »
Hi Coze, welcome to DBF :)

I don't know for any tilesets but you could try this place;

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php

Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Klimo

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 27, 2011 »
Hi,

I am new here with an old Amiga 500:)
I know some assembler on M68000.
MAinly I am here to learn, and I hopw that I will be able to find time to do it;)

Happy new year!

Klimo
(Beroun, Czech republic)

Offline ronnie

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 27, 2011 »
Hi,

I am new here, I had in the past a few C64-ers and a lot of amiga's.
I loved those demos and I was wondering how to recreate those effects , so with a little help of google I came here.

Greetings Ronniehood

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #717 on: December 27, 2011 »
Hi Ronniehood, Klimo, Coze, ttemper and everybody I missed! Welcome aboard! :hi:
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ttemper

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 28, 2011 »
welcome ronnie, klimo, coze :) im a newbie here myself.

@kirl, thanks :)

@ronnie, if you're wanting to learn to code demos I think (going by what I've been told myself by ShockWave).. FreeBasic would be the best option to begin with (thats what I'm learning at the moment).

Check out TinyPTC_Ext by rbz (http://www.rbraz.com/source.html) for a starting point, along with rbraz' great tools bmp2raw and bin2bas if you want to include graphics.

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #719 on: December 28, 2011 »
Greetings Ronnie and Klimo :)  Glad you found us and I hope you stick around!
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won: