Author Topic: Raycaster  (Read 4998 times)

Offline mike_g

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
Raycaster
« on: August 20, 2007 »
Ok, it looks like I have given up on this for the time being at least. So heres what I got of my raycaster. It includes an executable version and Blitz source code. Theres a level editor with it so you can create you own levels and also indoor and outdoor effects. Theres a slight bug with the floor casting, but the horrible clipping I had before problem is fixed.

Download link

Offline Clyde

• A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Raycaster
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007 »
Nice stuff there dude.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline rain_storm

• Here comes the Rain
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Rain never hurt nobody
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007 »
Thats impressive thanks for sharing the source :D

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline mike_g

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007 »

Offline va!n

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • http://www.secretly.de
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007 »
@mike_g:
Very nice! Btw, outdoors runs @60 fps here... while indoors runs only @30 fps... i think it slows down, in fact of the lighting / distance of objects where you are trying to add the fake lighting... If so, you should try to optimize the code for this... Maybe you can increase the speed a bit while just creating the lighting/distance (also color changing = darker for bigger distance) with bit shifting for each color or possible with just a pre-generated color table (255 steps) ^^ Good luck!  Anyway nice work
- hp EliteBook 8540p, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64
- Asus P5Q, Intel Q8200, 6 GB DDR2, Radeon 4870, Windows 8.1 x64
http://www.secretly.de
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline mike_g

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007 »
Yeah, the shading really slows things down. I havent got around to exiting each the ray when it reaches the a point where things would be black. That would speed it up quite a bit in open spaces, which is where the real speed drainage is. Lighting colour tables would also be a good idea, I might have a go at it. Cheers.

Offline va!n

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007 »
Using MMX you could draw 4 pixels at once... so you could speed up your raycaster a lot... just another idea to improve the speed.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007 »
you can use integers to do the shading instead of converting to float and back again:

Code: [Select]
shade%=(integer value from 0-256)

;separate each component, multiply by shade and remove the low 8 bits of the result.
r%=((col and $ff0000)*shade)and $ff000000
g%=((col and $00ff00)*shade)and $00ff0000
b%=((col and $0000ff)*shade);and $0000ff00 ; (it's all gonna be shifted down anyway so 'And' not needed here

;Or the remaining high 8 bits of each result and shift down 8 bits
col=(r or g or b)shr 8

I'm not 100% sure if the red part will be right when using signed integers or if there's an unsigned datatype in blitz so you might need to do something like this instead:

;separate each component, multiply by shade and remove the low 8 bits of the result (red shifted down 8 first).
r%=(((col and $ff0000)shr 8)*shade)and $ff0000
b%=((col and $0000ff)*shade);and $0000ff00 ; (it's all gonna be shifted down anyway so 'And' not needed here

;Or the remaining high 8 bits of each result and shift down 8 bits
col=r or ((g or b)shr 8)

If the first bit of code works, it is also possible to do the shading on the red and blue components at the same time.

Offline mike_g

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007 »
Haha, nice stonemonkey :) Yeah, I could really do with getting rid of those floating point calculations. Theres no way of unsigning integers in Blitz, but I imagine the red component should be fine as it uses 32 bit colour. I'll try out your suggestion.

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007 »
When you're dealing with 32 bit signed integer variables, the last bit (bit31) is the sign, in the first example i gave the red can end up needing that bit. If that does cause problems the 2nd example should still work fine.

Offline va!n

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007 »
ATTENTION - BUG!
I cant test the source because i dont have FB not know how to code with.. but this is wrong:

integer value must be from 0 to 255 instead up to 256 !!!
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007 »
Sorry va!n, that just means shade has to be an integer value in the range 0 to 256.

I know it's strange that it's not 0 to 255 but it is 0 to 256. Sometimes that range isn't possible (if it's a byte) so you can add 1 as an integer before doing the shading so it's the range 1 to 256 so there's no loss of information but an integer can work in that range.

(num*0)shr 8=0
(num*256) shr 8=num

but also:
(num*1)shr 8=0   for any 8 bit value

and:

(255*255)shr 8=254     (slight loss)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 by Stonemonkey »

Offline mike_g

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007 »
Vain: Unfortunately, I dont think you can use MMX features in Blitz. Would be nice if it was possible tho :-\

Stonemonkey: I got it working. Thanks. Thats quite cool use of binary operators :) So far I'm having no problem with the first version, but my textures don't have a whole lot of red in them. I tried the second version too, which for some reason came out with a blueish tint. It looked kind of cool tho. I think my FPS only went up by 1 or 2, but I guess thats a reasonable increase when I'm getting 10-12 fps in 640*480 ;D

TBH the real speed killer is the amount of times my prog is checking points on the rays. If I check them less, theres a whole load more speed, but everything comes out very blocky.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 by mike_g »

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007 »
Well, if the first version turns out to work (don't understand the bluish tint in the second though) then this should work too. You can do the calculations on both the red and the blue components together and only have to separate out the green.

r_b%=((col and $ff00ff)*shade)and $ff00ff00

col=(r_b or g)shr 8

It most likely won't make any difference to how well your code runs though but in things i'm working on atm I have a huge amount of shading and blending where it might make some difference.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 by Stonemonkey »

Offline mike_g

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007 »
I thought it might work like that when you said its possible to do the red and blue at the same time. Not ideal for blitz with the signed bit thing, but I made a colour blend function in C using all the stuff you showed me. Thanks :)

[edit] Yeah and that blueish thing must have been something I got wrong before. [/edit]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007 by mike_g »

Offline Jim

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007 »
You don't have to worry about the sign, SHR in blitz is an unsigned shift which doesn't duplicate the sign bit - if you want that you have to use SAR instead.
a%=$ff0000
b%=256

Print Hex$(a*b)

answer% = (a*b) Shr 8

Print Hex$(answer)

answer% = (a*b) Sar 8

Print Hex$(answer)

Repeat
Delay 100
Until KeyDown(1)

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline mike_g

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007 »
Oh, cool. I'm sure I saw SAR in the help file, just never paid much attention to what it did. Now I know what it does its actually quite useful. Thanks jim.