Author Topic: anyone here intrested in xbox360 xna coding?  (Read 3767 times)

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
im just curious if anyone has xbox live and the xna game launcher on there system as im toying with subscibing to the xna creators club but im not sure as of yet.

on another note i managed to set up the xna 2.0 kit on the pc this afternoon and i built a few bits and peices. im really surprised at how easy the 360 is to code for ( using c# and xna ) and how the same code runs on the pc with a few minor mods.

also by the looks of it you get the use of shaders and the 10meg embedded dram chip for free 4xaa sampling.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Jim

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: anyone here intrested in xbox360 xna coding?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008 »
I haven't had a chance to look at XNA personally, but it's supposed to be excellent.  I don't have an XBOX360 either.  Just this week I put Fedora Linux on my PS3 though  ;D

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008 »
cool.

is fedora any good on the ps3. xna is great but the one thing that bothers me is the fact microsoft are really twitchy about folks running stuff on the 360 its not like you can build something deploy it and then put it on a memory stick and take it to a mates house.

for your mate to run it he will need the full development kit on his pc as well as xbox live and an xna creators club membership then you have to take your source files round and build and deploy them.

similarily if you wish to share your game with other xna registerd users through xbox live you must supply the source files and resources, i only hope this all changes as time goes on.

for now though i think ill keep messing about with the dev kit as it can only help me to learn c#.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Jim

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008 »
In theory, it being Linux, you can share the whole open source world worth of software, create what you want and just bung it on the net.  In practice, this is 64bit PPC Linux, so a lot of stuff that was designed and coded for Intel Linux just won't work.  But the plan for me is to get a program called Freevo working, which is a media server.  PS3 has a media server, DLNA compatible, but it's buggy and the servers are worse.  With mplayer/vlc/samba and some custom PS3 scaling/yuv->rgb software, Freevo ought to be better.  And if it sucks, I'm one of the people for whom open source means I might actually give enough of a damn to fix it :D

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008 »
lol, i might get a ps3 to give linux a try im just holding out till i spot a cheap one.

i just downloaded the xna launcher and a tool for deploment on my 360. and i think im going to register for an xna membership i hope it's worth it.

on the dev kit side iv gone a little further i created some classes one for drawing sprites and one for backgrounds and it is really streight forward.

you simply drop your sprite be it png jpg bmp or a few others into the content manager in the class veiwer then in the sprite class to create a texture it goes something like.

Code: [Select]
        SpriteBatch spriteBatch;
        Vector2 mPosition;
        Texture2D mSpriteTexture;

(Constructor)
            spriteBatch = new SpriteBatch(GraphicsDevice);
            mSpriteTexture = this.Content.Load<Texture2D>("MyImage");
            mPosition = new Vector2(Xpos, Ypos);
        //
        (Draw)
            // Sprite batch begin/end works a bit like glbegin/glend where you can have more than               
            // one sprite inbetween the two calls
            spriteBatch.Begin();
            spriteBatch.Draw(mSpriteTexture, mPosition, Color.White);
            spriteBatch.End();
        //

the content manager then during the build compiles your image or what ever other resource into and xnb file that the exe uses. the whole xna kit seems to take away all the unecesary bits we ususally code ourselfs and lets you concentrate more on game logic.

and thats about as much as iv learned so far as well as some of the structure and a few other commands.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008 by ninogenio »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline staticgerbil

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010 »
Hi Nino,

Did you end up getting your XNA membership?

I used XNA for a while for a 360 project and then found out that the homebrew channel wasn't available in Australia (you can submit games but not download them) so I never finished my game or paid for a subscription :(

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010 »
hey sg,

yeah i did. that then led me to try all sorts of little things mostly shader based doing ps pro like gusian blur filters etc..

i only tranfered a few things to the xbox to run it on the proper hardware then the rest of the time just full proofed stuff on the pc as im lazy lol.

as of late though iv been mostly messing around on the spectrum, big jump i know  :)

might go back to it at some point though i have a few things unfinished.

cant belive they havent made subscription possible for aus though. thats a bit crazy as there is so many good coders like yourself over there that could really help push this forward/build a comunity.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline staticgerbil

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010 »
I checked again this morning and it looks like we can still sell games but not download them.

I remember looking for a reason at some stage but I ended up at a post that more or less said that MS wouldn't give a reason and complaining wont make it happen faster but they are looking to add more countries to the list.

My first guess is that we seem to have pretty tight game restrictions here so they could be having trouble getting the service approved as the games are only peer reviewed, afaik, so anything could potentially slip through.  It has been one or two years since I looked into it though so I could be completely wrong :)

I'd love for them to setup Australia for downloads.  XNA is a fantastic tool and I'd love an excuse to use it again :D

Offline va!n

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • http://www.secretly.de
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011 »
I am really very interested in using XNA... I have tried some small steps into C# with XNA and i have to say, its really amazing! However i have stopped using/playing with XNA, because first i want try to learn C# and understand things like OOP! When beeing more fit into C#, then i will try to use XNA too ;)

Btw, you dont need an account at xnacreatorsclub to develop stuff... Afaik you only need it, if you want to release/sell it on the marketplace for Xbox / Phone7. Stuff for windows can be compiled and released without an account.
- hp EliteBook 8540p, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64
- Asus P5Q, Intel Q8200, 6 GB DDR2, Radeon 4870, Windows 8.1 x64
http://www.secretly.de
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline staticgerbil

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011 »
I hope you enjoy C# / XNA.

I found C# to be a very nice language to work with and Visual Studio just keeps getting nicer.  I realise just how nice after spending a lot of time in XCode :D

I think that if I could let my friends play my games I would have finished something for the Xbox by now.

You can develop stuff for windows without an account but I was planning to target Xbox and an account is required to execute the app on the Xbox.