Author Topic: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos  (Read 12335 times)

Offline Clyde

• A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
I've never had any luck with this ( installing a HD and WorkBench), if anyone knows how to run aga demos,could you give steps on what to do please? Also I don't want to muck up my pc.

Muchos Gracias Amigas,
Clyde.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010 by Clyde »
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline bikerboy

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010 »
from what i can remember (long time since i used winUAE)

you need the original amiga roms, and you specify an amount of space of your HD so that winUAE will make that space "amiga usable".

from what i can remember you can allways "delete" that space so you can have it for win.

also i think you can access that space from win like a folder and add adf files or other amiga stuff.

hold on i'm gonna install it remember everything and let you know for sure ;)

.:EDIT:.  you go to the menu on the left and click "hard drives".

then on the right you select a hard drive from your pc "add hard drive".

after you selected a hard drive you see it on the list, you check it and you press "properties" and "create hard disk image file" and when i do that id gives an error  :skint: :skint: dunno but that's what i was doing in the older version i had.

now i installed 2.1.0 (210.04.28)

Ps. hmmm weird now that i look in my desktop it did create the .hdf allthough it gave the error, and now that i tried to load it it gave another error and it crashed lol?  :P

does winUAE works for win 7? ???

.:EDIT:. yup this helps for sure  ;)

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/help/tutorial_1/1.php

or maybe it's better to use amikit? going to check it out

http://www.thecryptmag.com/amikit/

.:EDIT:. ok amikit install with winuae but it requires to have the original os (3.5-3.9 and some others) in cd so it can install it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010 by bikerboy »

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010 »
If you need a link to a site with a bunch of Amiga ROMs drop me a PM.  ;)

ROMs included are:

ROM v1.1 (A1000/NTSC) rev. 31.34 
ROM v1.2 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev. 33.180 
ROM v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev. 34.5
ROM v2.04 (A500+) rev. 37.175
ROM v3.0 (A1200) rev. 39.106
ROM v3.1 (A500,A600,A2000) rev. 40.10 
ROM v3.5 (A500 - A4000) rev. 40.1

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline bikerboy

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010 »
if i'm not mistaken, when you select A1200 winuae asks for a specific rom version -> Amiga Kickstart 3.1 (40.068) (A1200) (Commodore) (1993)

that's the only amiga i was emulating.

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010 »
I did rather play the real amiga instead of WinAUE!

I still have Amiga 500, 600 and Amiga 1200 with 16MB Ram and also 1,000 Games and Demo in the amiga hard drive too  ;) :kewl:

Offline Moroboshisan

• Amiga 1200
  • C=64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010 »
I did rather play the real amiga instead of WinAUE!

I still have Amiga 500, 600 and Amiga 1200 with 16MB Ram and also 1,000 Games and Demo in the amiga hard drive too  ;) :kewl:

i still have several Amiga setups (A1200+030@50, A1200+060@50, A500, A500+ w/030@16 and some other goods here and there) which I personally prefer to run demos and games on... but i must admit that (most of the times) i just need to refresh my memory or I'm just curious but I'm feeling simply too lazy to take off the shelves the needed hw, transfer the software to the real thing and then give it a run...
I'm still 100% sure that running every kind of demo/game onto the real thing looks better, sounds better, feel better than in whatever emu out there.
Most of the time WinUAE/E-UAE get the job done wonderfully but, if I'm still dubious about anything particular, or the damn thing simply won't run the right way (or won't run at all) I get the necessary motivation to connect the needed hardware to make it run.
Emus are simply damned comfortable for the daily use (WinUAE for Amiga, Vice for C64)... if you are looking for a good pre-build setup you can consider a commercial package as Amigaforever o C64forever (they have a very clean and simple interface, Google for them and give'em a try).
You can use a preconfigured system like Classic Workbench or Amigasys (I reccomend them both for different reasons, Classic Workbench "LITE" for speed and semplicity... Amigasys or Classic Workbench UAE for RTG and fully useable eye-catching system); please keep in mind that you must OWN every real amiga kickstarts AND Workbench Disks you will use in the emulator (that's why I like Amiga Forever package which lets you legally have/use ALL of the available kickstarts AND Workbench, at a fair price).

I've never had any luck with this ( installing a HD and WorkBench), if anyone knows how to run aga demos...
Find yourself a 3.1 kickstart rom and a workbench 3.1 disk set, download Classic Workbench Lite... setup WinUAE for the A1200 environment (2MB Chip + 64MB Fast if needed)... Keep the workbench disks at hand and start setup Classic Workbench (you'll find detailed info on the main website http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/download.htm and http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm)... follow the step-by-step guide... once finished you'll have a fully working Amiga AGA setup... now you need to simplyfy amiga<>pc transfer by configuring a "shared" pc directory within WinUAE... you're done.
If you can't run a particular demo please READ the included nfo file (memory requirements, RTG compatibility, FAST-ram issues, needed files... and so on)

cheers!

and remember: Google is always your friend! ;-)

Offline Jim

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010 »
As far as I know you need a 3.x kickstart, 2Mb of chip mem, full AGA, and a 68020 with no fpu co-pro.
I guess there are some demos that run from HD, there's definitely an option to make a normal Windows folder appear as a HD for the Amiga.
Some demos will need fast mem too.  Others will crash with it there.  That's the reason a lot of A500 demos don't work - they assume an Amiga with > 512Kb memory must have some fast mem, which A1200s will not.

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline hellfire

• Sponsor
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • my stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010 »
i still have several Amiga setups (A1200+030@50, A1200+060@50, A500, A500+ w/030@16 and some other goods here and there)
Lucky you.
I was looking for a working 68060 a while ago but they were all completely out of my budget.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Moroboshisan

• Amiga 1200
  • C=64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010 »
Lucky you.
I was looking for a working 68060 a while ago but they were all completely out of my budget.

my 060 was out of budget too... i bought it as soon as it goes gold back in the days... don't even make me think about it twice!  :-)

Offline Jim

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010 »
They're great, it means you can play Buggy Boy real fast! :D

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Moroboshisan

• Amiga 1200
  • C=64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010 »
They're great, it means you can play Buggy Boy real fast! :D

Jim

LOL!!!!!!!   ;)

anyway, recently I added more stuff to my Amiga setups (IndivisionAGA, CF<>IDE-adapter and CF<>PCMCIA adapter on A1200... dual-IndivisionECS and viper030 on A500+...) but I learnt myself that a "simple" Indivision can't replace a RGT graphics card... so, if you're planning to expand an A1200/A3000/A4000 consider a 040 or 060 + Cibervision64 or Picasso gfx card (being true to myself I just expected too much from an evolved flicker-fixer) if you really want to enjoy a true Amiga feeling.
Most of the Amiga hw is very overpriced, if you just need to enjoy some demos/games i suggest the AmigaForever-emu way (it has a very simple user interface, consider it as a MP3-like player for Amiga software... Considering the Premium Package you get a video DVD with most of CBM-Amiga related info and folklore).

Offline Moroboshisan

• Amiga 1200
  • C=64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010 »
As far as I know you need a 3.x kickstart, 2Mb of chip mem, full AGA, and a 68020 with no fpu co-pro.
I guess there are some demos that run from HD, there's definitely an option to make a normal Windows folder appear as a HD for the Amiga.
Some demos will need fast mem too.  Others will crash with it there.  That's the reason a lot of A500 demos don't work - they assume an Amiga with > 512Kb memory must have some fast mem, which A1200s will not.

Jim

that's why i ALWAYS suggest to read the accompaining demo info/readme file...

Maybe having a look at Pouet.net doing a fast search gives you most of the needed info to run a OCS/ECS/AGA/RTG demo/intro but most ot the older demos just crash if you have Fastmem above 4MB.. or if your setup has more than 1 fdd... Sometimes getting a particulor intro/demo to run could be tricky for a non-oldschool Amiga user.. ;-)

;-)

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010 »
Actually it ain't that difficult. Simply make a new folder on your PC harddisk. Then in WinUAE go to: Setting/Hardware/Hard Drives. Click on "Add Directory", find the folder you just created. Now you got a working harddisk, where you can put files in as much as you want. Run WinUAE and the harddisk will appear on your Workbench screen. But don't forget to save your configuration, otherwise WinUAE won't find the harddisk next time you fire it up.

Edit: Huh? Where did Clyde's question go. Did you delete it? Anyways, this is how it works.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010 by padman »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

• A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010 »
Cheers all! :D
Time to watch AGA-ness :)
As they say, it's easy when you know how.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

• A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010 »
So'z there Padman, as I was typing I suddenly realised to select Show All in the Menu.

Next question, whilst I was installing WB3.1 it said that there wasnt enough space in systems to install the fonts. I've free'd up some space elsewhere on my PC. I'd like to know how I can install the WB fonts, or do I need to reinstall wb?

Also, when a demo is in .dms and not an executable, is there a process to convert them?

thanks,
Clyde.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010 by Clyde »

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010 »
Can't help you with the fonts problem, since I never needed that in WinUAE, but I bet one of the Amiga gurus here will help ya.  ;)

About the dms thing: DMS is a floppy disk image (just like ADF files). That means: Insert the DMS file into an emulated floppy drive in WinUAE and hit start. It'll boot from this disk then.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

• A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010 »
yeah & thanks I thought that the case, just wondered seeming as in workbench there was a way.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Moroboshisan

• Amiga 1200
  • C=64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010 »
Next question, whilst I was installing WB3.1 it said that there wasnt enough space in systems to install the fonts. I've free'd up some space elsewhere on my PC. I'd like to know how I can install the WB fonts, or do I need to reinstall wb?
how could it be, that's sound odd to me? how much space did you reserve for System HDD???... but if you have now freed enough space you can simply copy the whole content of FONTS diskette into the corresponding FONTS: assign... it's that simple...

BTW, if you haven't heavily configured yout system yet I suggest you to reinstall from scratch using at least 2 virtual partitions

DH0:  (system: 200MB just to have some room for future add-ons or enhancements)
DH1:  (work: as you wish, but keep in mind that standard FFS does not allow more than 4GB!!!)

As padman said DMS is just like ADF (maybe ADF is a sort-of DMS's son), you can find many tools that let you mount disk images right inside Amiga emulation with fmsdisk (http://www.aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fmsdisk), FMS or Virtualfloppy (aminet is a goldmine for every amiga user needs)... so you can run, extract or convert many different formats to what you're looking for.

There is WHDLoad also (http://www.whdload.de/) that lets you have 85% of Amiga floppy based software installed into HDD... then you can look for KGWHD in google.

have a nice day! ;-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010 by Moroboshisan »

Offline Clyde

• A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010 »
Ok, thanks heaps for the tips.

I followed the tutorial on Amiga Lemon. And I think I have it set for 4 Hard Drives, DH0-DH4, I've been crafty and added a Demos one. ;)

I do want to reinstall Workbench from scratch, so I can get the WB3.1 - Fonts. but It tells me that the folder is full and write protected.
I've tried some google searches, but most of them are no longer valid and so it redirects me to daft places.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline bikerboy

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010 »
installed amikit with os 3,9 ... it's a no go  :o every setup i tried ended up giving the guru screen after boot :telloff: lol

so i ended up with amikit and os version 3,5 wich works like a charm.

i made no changes to winuae (amikit fixed everything), also downloaded every whdload demo i could find and tested many of those, also works fine.

and what i have discovered just now is that winuae recognises my 360 win controller :o :o so i was really happy to play again dogs of war   :updance:

time to get some more whdload games  :P :P

and for those that want the games straight from their publisher, Gremlin & Magnetic Fields are giving their games for the amiga for free  :updance:

http://gremlinworld.emuunlim.com/amiga.htm

edit: added a screen of my current workbench screen
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010 by bikerboy »