Author Topic: [TinyC5] Plawesoma!  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
[TinyC5] Plawesoma!
« on: December 22, 2011 »
How are you gentlemen? I present to you Plawesoma!

I tried a plasma before in flash but it failed spectacularly, so I'm happy it worked out this time, turns out it's pretty simple really. I got it after reading a post by jim which I found through a google search. I should've known better and searched dbf in the first place... :)

View source at your own risk, some really weird and crappyy code solutions for the text scroller and font (just say no kids! ;D).  Music only seems to work in Chrome.

Have a good xmas all!  :xmas:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011 by Kirl »
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline benny!

• DBF Aficionado
  • in this place forever!
    • View Profile
    • bennyschuetz.com - mycroBlog
Re: [TinyC5] Plawesoma!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011 »
 :clap: Nice one!

Great plasma with good mouse interaction plus scrolly. Runs really well on my laptop!

Well done and thanks for entering!
[ mycroBLOG - POUET :: whatever keeps us longing - for another breath of air - is getting rare ]

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline jace_stknights

• Amiga 1200
  • PEEK & POKE are not MOVEM!
    • View Profile
    • ST Knights WebSite
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011 »
 :clap: Well done!

Very nice plazma! Cool to make it run with user interaction :D
And it is soooo fast :D :trans:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011 »
Nice work Kirl.  It even runs fast with the shadow property :)

Got my daily dose of plasma now!
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011 »
Yep, this is some fine ass plasma. Very well done!  :clap:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline neriakX

• Atari ST
  • CodeNoob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011 »
very cool plasmas! yay for the interactivity! unfortunately the sound does not work in lates SRWare Iron, which is a spyware-cleaned version of Google Chrome. I'm using Version 16.0.950.0 (Entwickler-Build 115000 Windows)
cheers,
neriakX

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
    • Combat King's Barcode Battler Home
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011 »
I liked the smooth motion of the plasma effect, and the music went well with the font, which I liked. It's hard to find a decent pixellated font these days.

My only concern is the contrast between the text and the plasma when it goes black and white, but this is only a problem for a second or two before the contrast improves.
You are our 9001st visitor.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011 »
Thanks for the comments all! :)

Nice work Kirl.  It even runs fast with the shadow property :)
What shadow property Shockwave? Beyond figuring out the plasma I've been quite lazy in terms of exploring cool stuff. Felt like a bit of stranger back in js so this challenge came at the right time. The recommended dose of plasma is about 26 hours a day btw. ;)

very cool plasmas! yay for the interactivity! unfortunately the sound does not work in lates SRWare Iron...
Thanks for mentioning the music fail neriakX (never heard of SRWare, but it sounds intriguing ), I'm planning to look into benny and jace's code to figure out how they got it running in both FF and Crome which I tested with, but I'm still a bit too tired to actually sit down and do it. Really need to get some quality sleep soon, I'm pretty broken (not related to the challenge though).
:crutches:

...the music went well with the font, which I liked. It's hard to find a decent pixellated font these days.
Thanks, I went for a 5x5 font as I found one really can't do much with 4x4. Thanks for mentioning CK! Had a bit of help from a friend who happened to be sitting next to me on the couch, it was interesting to get the u,v and y easily recognizable. Still some letters that irk me every time I see them.

I did it like this as I had no idea how else to do a scroller with tinyc5, I'm still a bit puzzled how you and shockwave did those gorgeous fonts. I only skimmed through your code, but didn't find any obviously clumsy, unwieldy pixel declarations for every letter, like in my code. Planning to figure out that little mystery after I've had some good sleep as well. :)
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

• A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011 »
Really clever how you've done the colour palette cycling and the plasma patterns.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline jace_stknights

• Amiga 1200
  • PEEK & POKE are not MOVEM!
    • View Profile
    • ST Knights WebSite
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011 »
What shadow property Shockwave?
I think he's speaking about the css shadow property of the white border. This makes the javasript running slower.  :crutches:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011 »
So that's why I've spent most of the time trying to optimise it, doh!  :whack:

I just realised I messed up the name too. Because plasma in english is pronounced like ass, whereas in dutch the middle "a" is pronounced as in awesome. So it really doesn'twork in english, didn't realise I was using the dutch pronunciation in my head...

Really clever how you've done the colour palette cycling and the plasma patterns.
Thanks Clyde, I did not expect to hear that! :)
I was pretty happy with the plasma code, but once I finished the huge awkward scroll code I was afraid that little thing of beauty would be lost!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011 by Kirl »
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
    • Combat King's Barcode Battler Home
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011 »
I'm still a bit puzzled how you and shockwave did those gorgeous fonts. I only skimmed through your code, but didn't find any obviously clumsy, unwieldy pixel declarations for every letter

I stored the pixel declarations in a 2D array (the "dots" array). Each declaration was five lots of seven values. One lot of seven values was drawn on each successive frame, depending on which letter was being read, and how many frames had passed for that letter. Also the pixels in the scroller were being moved to the left, resulting in the illusion of a scroller. The only scroller data being updated was on the very right-hand-side of the screen.

Shockwave's looks more complicated than mine though - I'm wondering how it works.
You are our 9001st visitor.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011 »
My font is laid out in ASCII order, it is 5*5 pixels per character.  The dots are stored in 5 single dimension arrays because I didn't have time to work out multi dimension arrays.. I had to draw all character on screen each frame and I just turn the ASCII value of each character into an offset to use in the font arrays to get the character I need to draw.   :)
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011 »
Thanks for the insights guys, even though I'm not a fan of reverse engineering code, I really liked the opensource nature of this challenge! :)

I tweaked my entry a bit and removed the shadow property, now it runs smooth on my own laptop as well! Thanks for mentioning it Shockwave! Also set mobile support to true, but I've got nothing to test it on... Would love to hear if/how it runs on mobiles.
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011 »
Cool Plamsa  :clap: