Author Topic: normalmaping displacement  (Read 1691 times)

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
normalmaping displacement
« on: June 02, 2013 »
hey guys me again,

i thought id have a little break today from some of the more difficult stuff im doing. so started speeding up my bumpmapping. realised i was doing loads of unecessary shifts and was able too precalce some bits(Reflection vector..Cheers hellfire), managed too get it up too about 100fps on a single core!..

while doing this i thought what if i was too have a mess around with the normals in the normal map. so after trying loads of diffrent things i got too here.. i think it looks quite cool. ive optimized the snot out of it but think it could still give lots more.

too allocate more cores press the x key less cores the z key and too make it rain the r key puddle the p key and change images the 1 and 2 keys.

ive included non threading code for easy too readness.

so quick run down of the keys....
p = puddle
r = rain
1 = image 1
2 = image 2
z = less cpu cores
x = more cpu cores
it might run really slow but hopefully you guys get the idea..

ive tried too make it as bit wise as i could so next up i can mess around with assembler..

[ -edit oops realised ive left one of my ascii projects in the easy too read folder ohh well ill leave it there as an extra  :P ]

have fun guys..
peace out!!  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013 by ninogenio »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ttemper

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
Re: normalmaping displacement
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013 »
Wow, very nice indeed, the motion is very fluid (no pun intended).

Impressive stuff, very smooth, it looks like crystal clear water ripples and rain drops. I've seen this attempted many many times, but I can say I definitely like this rendition!

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013 »
thanks very much mate!

glad someone likes it :) im just going through a mode of tying to emulate all the stuff ive seen in the past that i liked the look of but never got round too trying out.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline hellfire

• Sponsor
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • my stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013 »
This looks pretty cute!
If you want some criticism I'd say it doesn't look plausible why & how the light-source interacts with the water surface.
It lacks a visual clue if the light is above or below the water - maybe a bit of caustics or just a different color sheme.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013 »
ahh caustics  :) i was trying too think of the proper word as i was doing this so i could reference google and get some depth that made sense, as just now the actual light looks too be on the correct plain but the rays it casts looks in between the water and the bumpmap..

ill experiment and see if i can make some thing a bit more realistic, cheers hellfire!! 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013 by ninogenio »
Challenge Trophies Won: