Author Topic: LISP?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline spathi

• C= 64
    • View Profile
LISP?
« on: January 29, 2012 »
Any LISP coders?  I am new to the language and it seems exceedingly interesting and potentially very powerful despite 30 years of imperative programming making it rather a bit of a bear to understand.  There are a number of great lecture courses on Youtube about it, specifically "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs," both the MIT and Stanford versions.  I've tried cracking lisp before and gave up-- I am a little farther this time.

Offline Jim

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: LISP?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012 »
I had a dabble with LISP at university, had to do a few projects, but that was a long time ago!

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline madeyes

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012 »
Hey spathi, I'm giving LISP a go too. It's good to try something completely different to improve your programming abilities.  I am reading "Land of Lisp: Learn to Program Lisp, One Game at a Time! by Conrad Barski" which is a really fun book that reminds me of the excitement of first learning programming from Usbourne books for the BBC micro :)
I wonder if anyone has written a cool demo in LISP?

Offline spathi

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013 »
Holy moley!  Been a year and a half since I initially posted this.

There has been a game released written in Common Lisp.  It's called 2x0ng (that's a zero) and it's sort of an abstract roguelike, in a way.  Reminds me of something out of TRON.

I am mainly studying functional programming in order to get better at other programming, if that makes sense.  I still do not *get* LISP but I have been able to glean a number of benefits out of it, like better understanding of recursion and a number of other things.

I should totally read Land of Lisp.  I have been studying it from SICP, and from the MIT and Berkeley Youtube lectures that go along with that.