Author Topic: Creating a 3D Doom Engine in C  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
Creating a 3D Doom Engine in C
« on: February 19, 2015 »
A man explain the Engine on how it made....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQYsFshbkYw

It is Interesting video....first 1 mins is look like quickbasic :)

Speed up to 8 mins...it is create in C but if you look carefully...on 9 mins...it also create in SDL :)

It is interesting on how he create own Doom Engine in C!

Offline 0xDADA11c7

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a 3D Doom Engine in C
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015 »
Yes, Video is beautiful!   :D But more interest than video is only materials added to video

Offline Optimus

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Optimouse Demo Site
Re: Creating a 3D Doom Engine in C
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015 »
Wow, interesting video. Portal based engine like Duke3D must be a better way to teach this than Doom way. Doom I think did way much more with BSP but also a lot of other concepts, becomes more complicated. The build engine did it much easier with portals. Portals is much easier concept and I think more frequently used than BSP in games.

In fact I want to see carefully the code and try to make my own. I believe now, a portal engine in 2d without different heights at least, would not be that hard to code on 8bits and could prove faster in some cases than traditional raycasting. Maybe I could replace the slow raycaster in my cpc engine. And as a bonus, also non-orthogonal walls. I ponder long about it, I just was too lazy or busy with other projects to start working on it.

Also, just realize that saying portal engine, some gamer would think the engine of Portal game.
In the same way you say 4k intro and people think of 4k displays :P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015 by Optimus »
Challenge Trophies Won: