Author Topic: What happened to DBF that not much is going on here?  (Read 5204 times)

Offline va!n

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • http://www.secretly.de
Hi guys.
As the topic says hopefully all. I was long time away and taked a look to the forum from time to time.
I am really suprised, because it seems to me, that this forum is nowadays very still / inavtive.
Where are the activities from the old days and where are all the famous and amazing guys/coders?

I noticed that even some of the well known guys from the older days hasnt been here for a while  ???
Have i missed something?
- hp EliteBook 8540p, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64
- Asus P5Q, Intel Q8200, 6 GB DDR2, Radeon 4870, Windows 8.1 x64
http://www.secretly.de
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline flightcrank

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to DBF that not much is going on here?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016 »
I dont know i think people are just busy with life and all that stuff . To make things more active i think people should put forward some simple tutorials. Wouldn’t it be good if we all started to create a resource that catalogues all the classic demo effects. from scrollers, to star fields and tunnels to twisters. Information on some effects i find lacking on the web, for example classic  the lens effect. If we build up a database of effects DBF could be a resource that lots of people will follow. I think we should put a heavy emphasis on newbies and not assume everyone is a maths genius.

Due to the variety of languages i think we should stick to pseudo code. or pick one common language to code examples in. My vote would be for processing. Its C style, modern. and dose away with all boilerplate code, and works on all 3 major platforms. I'm happy to contribute effects that I know, in the tutorials section. we could think about setting up a Github containing the finished products.

Having once resource will help more people join and that means more people to contribute more effects and techniques that others in DBF can benefit from. Having people like hellfire here is a real win as he seems to know allot.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016 by flightcrank »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016 »
I dont know i think people are just busy with life and all that stuff . To make things more active i think people should put forward some simple tutorials. Wouldn’t it be good if we all started to create a resource that catalogues all the classic demo effects. from scrollers, to star fields and tunnels to twisters. Information on some effects i find lacking on the web, for example classic  the lens effect. If we build up a database of effects DBF could be a resource that lots of people will follow. I think we should put a heavy emphasis on newbies and not assume everyone is a maths genius.

I agree, it would help newbie and they can show their own things on what they can do.

Due to the variety of languages i think we should stick to pseudo code. or pick one common language to code examples in. My vote would be for processing. Its C style, modern. and dose away with all boilerplate code, and works on all 3 major platforms. I'm happy to contribute effects that I know, in the tutorials section. we could think about setting up a Github containing the finished products.

I heard about processing which can do python and Java plus there more to come(I think it can do opengl too). It more of graphics programming which can be good things.

Having once resource will help more people join and that means more people to contribute more effects and techniques that others in DBF can benefit from. Having people like hellfire here is a real win as he seems to know allot.

More they register here and they will be able to get resource to learn from. I like see more Demo competions(Happy New year, Easter, Halloween, Xmas) for newbie and expert like as that way create more post to the forum.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016 by Hotshot »

Offline flightcrank

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016 »
I heard about processing which can do python and Java plus there more to come(I think it can do opengl too). It more of graphics programming which can be good things.

Yeah. processing programs can also be saved without modification to javascript to be embedded in webpages. which could be good for showing people animations running in realtime.

perhaps for more advanced stuff like shaders, shadertoy would be a better option however.

Im just not sure if its a good idea to post tutorials in the forum or to submit a tutorial to the admins so they can put it in dedicated webpage where youtube videos or a processing program can be embedded into the page. as im not sure thats possible in a forum post.

but yeah there will always be one post wonders who come and go. That can't really be avoided. But im sure the people that show enough interest will stick around.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
    • Combat King's Barcode Battler Home
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016 »
I still visit from time to time, but I feel I'm unable to contribute to some of the discussions as I'm not actively coding.
I hope to have my current literary project finished in the next month, after which I'll have a JavaScript project lined up.
You are our 9001st visitor.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ttemper

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016 »
In short (at least for me), life took over, I needed to prioritize, and coding is one thing that had to take a back seat.

I'd like to continue where I left off and learn more, code more... but atm that just isn't possible.

I still frequent the DBF forums to check out threads, new prods and such, but as for contribution... no.

-ttemper.

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016 »
same here.. i pop by occasionally and hope to get back on my coding projects soon. just life, and work, and other things in the way sometimes!

Offline spitfire

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016 »
Well I'm still stuck on my @#$%^! rasterizer. i would post about it but I think people would find it boring.

Offline slinks

• A little bit strange
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016 »
I mainly just lurk around, see what everyone's up to. That said, I got my first Spectrum recently, going to get that set up soon and see what it can do :)
I love semi-colons way too much ^^;
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline hellfire

• Sponsor
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • my stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016 »
Well I'm still stuck on my @#$%^! rasterizer. i would post about it but I think people would find it boring.
Don't know about the others but I love @#$%^! rasterizers  ;D
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016 »
Since finishing my second book, I've started writing a JavaScript / Canvas project for a photo gallery. After that I'll be working on a JS Canvas "holographic" map of the internet. It won't be a real map of the internet, just a procedurally generated sphere of dots with lines of "data" flashing between them.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline bobfresh

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016 »
I learned C++ since my internet was switched off do to non-payment of bills.  YAY!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I call that personal growth time. lol

Offline Moroboshisan

• Amiga 1200
  • C=64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016 »
...as said by many other here... RealLIFE[tm] jut took over... familiy dues, my little almost-2-years baby and a f****ng disease with my wife got priority over everything else so, as you may guess... no time to learn or code anything, just some ... back then I procrastinate too much (a damn vicious circle that gives me the impression I alvays need to understand everything BEFORE starting to code hands-on ... instead of simply put my hands on code and THEN figure out the way some complex routines do theyr magic!).
New tutorials sounds interesting... most classic effects are already covered here and there (Asphyxia Tutorials comes to my mind at first... they are available as Turbo Pascal sources with inline Assembler.. later someone translated them into C with inline Asm...), we have a lot of tutorials here on DBF that take the motivated newbie into coding... I said MOTIVATED NEWBIE as no tutorial have the ability to carry the necessary motivation...
IMHO some "structure" in available coding tutors should do some difference... Personally I would prefer plain C as main language over pseudocode since it might be useful in general... Python as "backup plan" ... a very good starting point would be "coding the hard way" starting with softrenders instead of relying on libraries or such... said that a simple and effective well commented framework to play with... and a "ready to play" compiler so newbies do not need to understand how complex IDEs needs to be configured (Bloodshed DEVC++ or something like that), with all necessary libs preinstalled and configured in a sort of portable form (this means same starting point for everyone, experienced coders shoud not have any real problem setting up their DEV environment, while newbies doesn't get stuck with "marginal complexity" not directly involved with coding... al least in the beginning!!!)... I always lost most of the time trying to understand how to correctly setup those modern IDEs (but that's just me...)... single effects with clean and detailed commets sounds good, what I always felt as the missing part of most tutorials seems to be the way various effects could be mixed together, synced each other with the music and so on... Obviously the hardest part would be "setting the starting point"... but, as a newbie myself, starting with FreeBASIC, plain C, Python or whatever makes no real difference...
Speaking about Processing I took a look way back ... as for now it would be nice to use Python since RaspberryPI seems a very nice platform to play with.
...Please forgive me, if what I said makes nonsense... sometimes I feel like I talk nonsense with myself! ;)
BTW: life sucks sometimes, better days will come... Cheers guys...

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016 »
Yes, it's much too quiet lately, but I do still check in often. I hope DBF will endure these quiet periods, I've lost so many sites near and dear to my heart over the years...

I like the idea of making tuts, and I had similar thoughts about some kind of shared language, but recently I've been thinking of something else along those lines.

Instead of any one language in particular, it would be much more interesting and fun to compare the many different languages each of us dabbles in. Their similarities and differences in syntax, verbosity, performance etc. Seeing these things is what I enjoy most when learning another language (I tend to port lots of stuff back and forth).

I know many languages are represented here among us and we all have our favourites, so maybe we can just take some simple effect which each of us could then translate into their own favourite language.

I think it would be good fun to do and totally accesable for newcommers with new langauges as well as oldschoolers with arcane languages. The more languages represented the merrier. :)

Anyways, good seeing you guys, here's to better days!  :cheers:

www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Baudsurfer

• C= 64
    • View Profile
    • x86 Assembly language page
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016 »
Hi there,

What everybody else said here. For all the beat-up by life etc, remember "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" :)
TO me DBF,  was seldom a coding corner (although impressed by many contest productions), but a sharing palace : a cosy fall-back alternative "home base" to sometimes otherwise competitive or hate-filled forums. In that sense, it still serves that purpose.
  In the long run there are ups and downs in any prolonged activity.

Hello to all DBF btw \o/ Stay strong !

Offline Shockwave

• good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
For me, I've been coding as my day job for quite a number of years now and I don't have the same appetite to code when I come home from work.  You're more likely to find me enjoying my free time with my family or on one of my bikes.

I keep meaning to pop on and go through what's been posted but I just don't seem to get around to it. 

Anyway, even though it's been a long time since I posted and even longer since I read the forums I still care about DBF & will continue to keep it online because above all it's good to know that the people who I've met here over the years and who became friends are still fit and well.
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline relsoft

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
Boo!   Sup shock?
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline spitfire

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
Hmm you may be on to something Shockwave, maybe I should work in a different industry to be more productive at demos :)

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
I've just had a thought about a variation of Raycasting I could try developing on here.
Raycasting in JavaScript turned heads a while ago, so maybe my twist could be interesting.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline mrmudlord

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
I mainly just lurk around, see what everyone's up to. That said, I got my first Spectrum recently, going to get that set up soon and see what it can do :)

Same, I know its been some time since I posted, but I might post more when I do more democoding again for a upcoming demoparty or something.