Author Topic: Snowheart Hills by Avocoders [AVCD] (Old school PC intro)  (Read 577 times)

Offline ViLXDRYAD

• Avocado lover 🥑
  • C= 64
    • View Profile
hii! :D i finally got to release our first intro with a couple of friends, this release was possible by many of you, DBF community and tuts4you forums; so it is dedicated to you as well! = D

unfortunately, and the reason i delayed a bit on posting it is that since it was my first time coding in C/C++ and had literally 25 days to relearn until the deadline, my code is mindblowingly unoptimized; i never seen such a mess before BUT it works at least  ;D

i told so many people they'll be in this one greets and my friends also wanted to greet a lot of people BUT we just had to limit it to just people in the BotB community where a compo this intro was aimed on is due to CPU extreme loads by each character on the scroller ;D a couple more of them and the intro'd lag hard ;-; so i'll promise next release you'll appear in! including Knurz, Rbz and combatking0 for all your support!, you rocks! =' D and my bad for now = 3

here's the youtube render:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CXKsNuUV2A

the release on pouet:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=74631

and the source mess attached as well = p it comes with a Code::Blocks IDE project, since i made it there = 3

there was a lot more planned for this intro, including real time 3d rendering and moving camera BUT we went short on time and had to fallback on what we had by the time = p

i hope you enjoy it!~ x3
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018 by ViLXDRYAD »

Offline Knurz

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Very well done mate! I like the style you aimed for very much (just watched the yt video, bc I only have linux in the office).

I downloaded the code too and you put ALOT of lines and work in to that. Just one thing I saw in your code.

You're loading one single char into a texture, which is technically fine, don't get me wrong, but it's alot to write and alot to compile =).
I just wanna give you an idea to make font-printing/scrolltexts easier. Remember the UV-Mapping we talked about in the other thread you openend ?
Let's say you have an image where ALL of the character you want to use are in a row like: ABCDEF... and so on.
You could upload the whole image into a texture and use the UV-mapping to "cut" one character from the texture and map it to the quad you're using.
(If you need some example codes, I'll can post them here).

Try to avoid too much usage of glPop/glPushMatrix (GL has to do stack-operations every time, which could consume more time than you have left for a single frame).

Try to use more arrays, it'll help you ALOT cutting down the lines of your sourcecode, like the further_snow_transparency_* variables. Just an idea if you say
Code: [Select]
float further_snow_transparency[20];
You could cut down the source by simply doing a iteration over the array:
Code: [Select]
for (int c=0; c<20;c++) { further_snow_transparency[c] -= (float)(rand() % 27583) / 100000.f; }
You can do this ofc with further_snow_v_move too =).

Again, lovely visuals, nice sound, very well done!

K++

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rbraz.com/
I'm glad you made it, well done on your first intro!

:goodpost:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ViLXDRYAD

• Avocado lover 🥑
  • C= 64
    • View Profile
@Knurz I'm so glad you liked it! +O+ also i'm amazed you are still willing to help even after it is released; thanks you so much, man! also wOW i never though about managing one long charset image with UV Mapping! that's so damn clever! =' D

also yea, they are very costly :c in fact that was made me have to shorten the greets ;-; rip BUT once i sort that out i'll ensure myself everyone that helped me on DBF are in this time x3

also absolutely! :D i'll have arrays or one recursive function that do the work of all the objects next time lmao, thaanks you so much for your useful hints and help! you rocks!~ =' D

@Rbz i'm very happy of your approval; thaanks, man!~ +O+

Offline Knurz

• C= 64
    • View Profile
@Knurz I'm so glad you liked it! +O+ also i'm amazed you are still willing to help even after it is released; thanks you so much, man! also wOW i never though about managing one long charset image with UV Mapping! that's so damn clever! =' D

also yea, they are very costly :c in fact that was made me have to shorten the greets ;-; rip BUT once i sort that out i'll ensure myself everyone that helped me on DBF are in this time x3

also absolutely! :D i'll have arrays or one recursive function that do the work of all the objects next time lmao, thaanks you so much for your useful hints and help! you rocks!~ =' D

@Rbz i'm very happy of your approval; thaanks, man!~ +O+

Hey! Glad I could bring some ideas to you.. probably everyone did his first scrolltext like you did  =).
Hope to see more prods from you and your team in near future!

Have Fun! =)
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head