Author Topic: Halloween Challenge 2018  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rbraz.com/
Halloween Challenge 2018
« on: September 30, 2018 »

:hanging: DBF Halloween Challenge 2018  :hanging:

• The theme is "Halloween"
  • You can use any platform that is compatible with: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and Linux!
  • You may write something for web browsers as long as it works in IE / Chrome / FireFox (or all!)
  • The following emulators are welcome: Vice, Winuae, Saint, PS2 Yabasic
  • Please give credit if you use ripped sound/gfx, or even better credit the original artist.
  • Please write something new for the challenge, no previously released stuff.
  • Do not use ripped routines. (dlls, libs, fmod, sdl, frameworks etc are fine but say what you used please!).
  • Entries to be posted in this forum please with the title [Halloween 2018] entry name
  • Entries may be posted between NOW and until October 31 2018 23:59 GMT [31th October 2018 - 23:59 GMT]
  • Please include a screenshot of your entry in your post.
  • There won't be a voting/poll this time, everyone entering will receive a "good karma" boost, so have some fun!

:rip: Have fun!  :rip:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Tetra

• DBF Aficionado
  • Pirate Monkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween Challenge 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018 »
 :goodpost: :goodpost: :||

Getting this in my inbox brought a nice smile to my face :)
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Knurz

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018 »
Sweet!

I'm starting my C comp..Segmentation fault  ::)
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head

Offline aNdy

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018 »
Oooohhh... so tempted to do something in PureBasic.

Is a month enough time to code, pixel something AND compose some music I ask myself?  :-\

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018 »
@Tetra: mission accomplished :)

@Knurz: oh nooooooo...

@aNdy: just remember it's a challenge for YOU and I believe you can do it :)

But really, those challenges are meant for you to try new things and be creative, no need to do mega productions, just something you never did before, and last but not the least to make this forum alive again which already is worth it.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018 by Rbz »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline nuclear

• Graphics hacker
  • C= 64
    • View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018 »
Why no voting? There need not be prizes, but having a competition adds to the fun I think.
Nuclear / Mindlapse & The Lab
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018 »
Simple because for the last competitions we weren't getting much entries and not even people for voting.

Now my idea is to changing it to a "challenge" only, and maybe get more people entering without being stressed out by a competition, as you know we have super experienced demo coders and newbies here. It's just a test challenge and I want to see how it will be received.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018 »
Nice! Count me in.:cheers:
Sorry won't make it in time. Too much real life crap got in the way... :(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018 by padman »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline aNdy

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018 »
Now my idea is to changing it to a "challenge" only, and maybe get more people entering without being stressed out by a competition, as you know we have super experienced demo coders and newbies here. It's just a test challenge and I want to see how it will be received.

Indeed, I am one of these 'newbies' so I have started an 'entry' based purely on the fact there is no 'competition' to worry about per se.  I always welcome comments/advice but would be gutted to come last in any compo.  If it was a competition, I probably wouldn't enter.  But since it's a bit of fun, count me in!  If that sounds a bit lame, it is! ;)

I'm using this challenge to try out one or two new things to me, but also to practice my coding technique/discipline and to refine stuff I've already learned in PureBasic.  I'm already knee deep in using 'timers' for sprite display animations/effects, whereas in the past I would have relied on crappy for/next loops or moving stuff based on the number pixels with every screen refresh.  Timers are so much more powerful I've found!  So because of this challenge, I've already improved and written code I can now take over to my game. :D

As with my recently released simple demos, I will be sharing source code and graphic/sound files so people can pull it all apart and possible learn or offer me advice.

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018 »
@aNdy: That's exactly what I was suspecting about the compos here.

This is also what happen on demoparties in general, in my point of view, it's not fair when you have to compete with guys/groups like for eg: Fairlightfarbrausch which coders are all professional, and I don't really know what compo organizers should do, eventually they will find a way to make things fair for newcomers on the demoscene.

But don't get me wrong, I know the value of a competition, it's part of our life, every day we are competing some how, but if we have a chance to make a fair compo - that's what we should do.

Glad to hear you already learned something new by just participating in this challenge.
 :cheers:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline boogop

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018 »
Good observations about trying to compete with coders much more advanced. Even Future Crew dealt with the idea that their presence was depressing entries at The Party II (from the file included with Unreal-->)

We telled nobody of our demo (Panic) because we feared
that it would scare off people. The almightyFC is gonna
do a new demo, we can't win, so why compete? We thought
we could this way get a lot better compo.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline aNdy

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018 »
But don't get me wrong, I know the value of a competition, it's part of our life, every day we are competing some how, but if we have a chance to make a fair compo - that's what we should do.
Agreed.  Compos are *vital* to progress and pushing the limits of any given machine.  Coming from the C64 scene, the demos released in the last 10-15 years are mind blowing, mainly because of all those groups trying to out-do each other over the years, whether in 'official' competition with rules, or 'friendly' competition.

But sometimes, 'just for fun' particularly with the pre-tense of 'try-something-new', encourages more involvement., as you are trying to do with this challenge.  That's why I'm in! My level is not as good as others, but I will be releasing my source so that those with a lower level than even me (if that's possible), can learn also.  For me, this challenge is all about the learn and not about the kudos.

I'll stop stating the obvious now...

Offline ~Ar-S~

• C= 64
  • Demo RuleZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018 »
Yop yop.. i'll try to do something.. But no much time..
~ Ar-S ~

Offline flightcrank

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018 »
ill be sitting this one out, as im taking up java again and am still finding my feet using it. I will enter a Christmas one if you guy want to set one up at the end of this compo
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018 »
20 Karma points awarded for everyone who entered the challenge :cheers:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline aNdy

• C= 64