Author Topic: New 6502 based machine possibly.  (Read 109 times)

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
New 6502 based machine possibly.
« on: September 13, 2019 »
Hi all, how's everyone doing? Not been around for a long time so probably don't know many here. Hi Nick.
Something came up on YouTube, actually, I'd downloaded an emulator of my first computer and I've been attempting to do something on it so after looking some things up this guy came up as recommended and he's working on something I thought might be of interest here. He's designing a 6502 based machine and using currently available off the shelf chips for sound and graphics. It's still very much in the design phase and nothing is finalised but he goes into a fair bit of detail about it's current standing and his plans in part 2.

Part 1:
https://youtu.be/ayh0qebfD2g
Part 2:
https://youtu.be/sg-6Cjzzg8s

Offline aNdy

• C= 64
    • View Profile
Re: New 6502 based machine possibly.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019 »
Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff!

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
Re: New 6502 based machine possibly.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019 »
hey fryer!!

you watch the 8 bit guy too  :cheers: i love homebrew computers its where most of my time has been spent over the past years ive invested lots of time into understanding schematics .. z80 and 6502 architechture and how to interface with s/dram understand hardware timing and propagation delays clock cycles and all the old school peripherals uarts custom built ttl logic port latches etc its been a very fun side venture.

i built a few machines the most comprehensive being a z80 machine clocked at 20mhz with a teensy 3.5 at its heart the teensy would dynamically load my hand rolled rom at boot up and could pause the z80 and go off and address my bolted on v9958 vdp graphics card. i really need to get stuck into this again as it was coming along really nicely. i got side tracked building ben hecks portable zx spectrum lol.

if the 8 bit guy pulls his project of it looks like it could be very powerful. although im kind of on the fence as to if anyone will put the effort into exctracting the extra power out of such a machine. based on my experience with my own machine i know its own architechture inside out so can make it do things easily but wouldn't expect others to spend any real time with it, i am hopeful though as i would love for things to go back to a simpler time when programers could make a difference and on a single machine we could all share our experiments/ideas( like our ps2 days ) again.
Challenge Trophies Won: