Author Topic: What are you working on at the moment?  (Read 136776 times)

Offline hellfire

• Sponsor
  • Pentium
    • View Profile
    • my stuff
Re: What are you working on at the moment?
« Reply #700 on: March 11, 2013 »
Are those 2d sprites or is it some crazy volume rendering?
I think it's a particle system using 2d sprites, they can look very good when done right.
Looks a little bit like https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4ssGzn
I hope you can reveal more about how it's made one day.
I'm stepping through a transparent noise volume in the fragment shader, so it's actually very similiar to what the shader in Benny's link does.
I can't afford a brute-force raymarcher, though - so I'm just rendering the interior of a bounding box and the noise-animation is simply done by adding a few moving volume textures.
Since the noise-function quickly approaches  a "solid" color (and the bounding volume is pretty tight), it just needs about 10 iterations per pixel and thus works in shader model 2.0, too.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 17, 2013 »
no screen shot as nothing cool enough yet...

but i've finally got indexed vao/VBOs working, with 3 independent buffers for vertices, indices and colours

vao/vbo stuff + shader attribute state handled by some nice lightweight C code with a little struct holding all the relevent bits

had to make a tweak to fallback to opengl 2.1 behaviour on one machine.

(i've got 3 test machines my main dev machine has amd/ATI GL 4.2, a laptop i use for remote debugging stuff has an nvidia card with gl 2.1 and my other laptop has amd/ATI GL 3.2)

the outer code for managing the vbo's to make it useable for the 'effects' i'm using it for needs a bit of work though!

i know striped 'single' buffers are possible etc, but i have some instances where i want to change 'just' the colour and some where i want to change 'just' the vertex data, i think this will do for most things i can dream up right now, i can worry about further optimisation if something really warrants it.

my head hurts now so i'm going to make me and mrs some lunch, have a shower and watch a doc i downloaded about ukulele's then do some guitar practice before my lesson tomorrow :crutches:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013 by Canopy »

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
    • Combat King's Barcode Battler Home
« Reply #702 on: March 17, 2013 »
I'm currently preoccupied with a website management system in PHP/MySQL, but I do have a JavaScript ASCII based demo in the works.
You are our 9001st visitor.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 25, 2013 »

Still not much to show, but I made a wish list of projects I think are next on my learning trajectory and chose one.

I've tweaked my previous VAO/VBO code to improve how things like buffer sizes are managed to eliminate confusion between 1) actual in-memory size 2) the number of GLfloats  and 3) the number of actual vertices ('2' / 3 for vertices or currently '2' /4 for colour buffer), and also to not care if there is no index buffer (so i can use glDrawArrays instead of glDrawElements)

Have got it rendering a hardcoded cube, and the plan is to eventually have a collection of simple solids in 3d space which i can select/deselect with the mouse (using "ray picking") and individually move & rotate, or if nothing is selected move/fly about the scene. also the ability to have several cameras that can be jumped between.

this'll help me get some matrix code, simple object and scene management in place. although the mouse interactivity stuff isn't "demo ish" it'll be handy for dev explorations.

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #704 on: April 01, 2013 »
I'm going to write a concatinative speech synth... In Flash! I have no idea if Flash is up for the task (or if I am) but it's about time we find out. Concatinative speech synthesis strings together short speech samples.

Worst case: Flash won't be able to mix such short sounds together with high fidelity, but I'm at least hoping for some recognisable speech like chatter. Wish me luck. All advice welcome!

Luck favours the brave!  :cheers:
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 12, 2013 »
I've put something like this together in Flash, in the form of a clock which announces certain times of the day and tells the kids at work when the lesson is over.

I'll send you the source when I can bring it home from work if you want to compare notes.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #706 on: April 12, 2013 »
Sounds good CK, do you form words from vowels and such, or sentences using preformed word samples? I'm trying to do the former, but without much succes atm. Not a total failure either, I'm not giving up on it quite yet.
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 13, 2013 »
I'm doing the latter, using entire words and partial phrases:

Lesson three - is over - it is time to go to - lunch - or I will - give you all detention!

Your goal looks to be a challenging one, but not impossible. The main problem you'll face will be with pauses between syllables, as Flash can be unresponsive with sound. A way around this would be to use 2 sound objects, pre-loading the next sound into the second object while playing the first, then loading a third sound into the first object while playing the second, effectively creating a double buffer for audio.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 16, 2013 »

got a bit sidetracked and did another little project to prove an idea i had (porting some processing stuff from a book called "generative art") which also proved that some concepts i'd included, but not tried in my vao/vbo code work. (not ever been near processing, but there were some interesting ideas in the book..)

before that i had some in my previous post done (matrices, mutiple objects and camera control) apart from the scene mgmt part, which i really need to do to be able to the ray picking as i've got to walk the objects list, and since they're not dynamic yet and not yet in a list - now is the time.

so i've been reading up on scenegraph's and am working out how to design one to fit my needs for the foreseeable.

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 21, 2013 »
.. and thanks to some research, and a forecast of rain, another goal reached.

i now have a node-ish based "scene graph".

i've heavily cut out some of the things i dont think i need normally seen in scene graphs.

due to this there are less nodes, more object sharing, and use of mostly singly linked lists

the root scene manager contains
 - lists of layers (scenes) which can be turned on/off
          - transforms list/stack for scene  (e.g. projection matrix, and camera)
          - lists of models
                 - transforms list/stack for model (e.g. translate/rotate)
                 - link to root->object

- a list of objects (currently VAO/VBOs)

so when rendering a scene if nothing happens, all that happens is a call to GL to draw for each layer, then each object. no matrix op's unless something changed.

the main trick is, the transforms lists/stacks allow individual control of their associated parts.

for example, if have a camera stuff in scenemgr->layer->transforms.  if i modify the params for the transform and mark the layer bIsClean = FALSE  then all the models get recalculated due to the camera change.  (i use 0 for dirty, 1 for clean so zeromemory on new objects automatically makes them dirty..).

if i were to change a models matrix, and set the model dirty, the dirty matrices would get recalc'd  and the models matrix would get recalculated next render.

Some of the lists are abstracted types so I could in future define different object management schemes for different layers

i have some work to do to manage VBO states before the next tasks - lighting and ray picking

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013 by Canopy »

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #710 on: May 04, 2013 »
Sounds good Canopy!

I finaly managed to write some code again after a very long break. Good results for now and some lovely local errors to boot! :)

www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 04, 2013 »
Awesome plasma! Mine don't turn out that good yet, but I'm learning.

My current project is a "sprite" template for JavaScript canvas games / demos / animations.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Kirl

• Pentium
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #712 on: May 05, 2013 »
Actually that was a colorised perlin noise which confusedly thinks it's a plasma. ;)
I changed it's mind and now it behaves nearly like I want.

Good luck on the sprite template!
www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 06, 2013 »
Thx Kirl  :cheers:

Now the weather has improved am finding it harder and harder to find time to proceed.

I'm still 'thinking' about gfx code and demo's though and have lots of ideas.

Been using an iPad app called Jot! with a stylus to sketch out my ideas (its basically mspaint, but worse) which really helps with planning

Offline Transiberiano

• ZX 81
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 10, 2013 »
I'm working on pathfinding over heightmaps.

Regards

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 09, 2013 »
replacing glm's quaternion slerp and quat too mat4 cast functions with my own ala..

Code: [Select]
DeltaKey = (float)(_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR + 1])->Time - (_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR])->Time;
cTime = (float)pKey - (_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR])->Time;
float Cosine = ((_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR]->Rotation[0] * _Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR+1]->Rotation[0])
+ (_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR]->Rotation[1] * _Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR+1]->Rotation[1])
+ (_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR]->Rotation[2] * _Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR+1]->Rotation[2])
+ (_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR]->Rotation[3] * _Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR+1]->Rotation[3] ));
float RotAngle = 0.0f;
if ( -1.0f < Cosine ){
if ( Cosine < 1.0f ){
      RotAngle = acos(Cosine);
}else{
      RotAngle = 0.0f;
    }
}else{
    RotAngle = 3.14159f;
}
if ( RotAngle < 1.17549435E-38F ){
    Quat = (_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR])->Rotation;
}else{
float InverseAngle = (1.0f / sin(RotAngle));
float CoefficientX = sin((1.0f-(cTime / DeltaKey)) * RotAngle) * InverseAngle;
float CoefficientY = sin((cTime / DeltaKey) * RotAngle) * InverseAngle;
Quat = (((_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR])->Rotation * CoefficientX)+((_Animation->_Rotations[_AnimationIndexR+1])->Rotation * CoefficientY));
}
}
glm::mat4 tmpmat4;

float PrexX = Quat[1]*Quat[1];
float PreyY = Quat[2]*Quat[2];
float PrezZ = Quat[3]*Quat[3];
float PrexY = Quat[1]*Quat[2];
float PrexZ = Quat[1]*Quat[3];
float PreyZ = Quat[2]*Quat[3];
float PrewX = Quat[0]*Quat[1];
float PrewY = Quat[0]*Quat[2];
float PrewZ = Quat[0]*Quat[3];

tmpmat4[0][0]  = 1.0f - 2.0f * ( PreyY + PrezZ );
tmpmat4[0][1]  = 2.0f *         ( PrexY - PrewZ );
tmpmat4[0][2]  = 2.0f * ( PrexZ + PrewY );

tmpmat4[1][0]  = 2.0f * ( PrexY + PrewZ );
tmpmat4[1][1]  = 1.0f - 2.0f * ( PrexX + PrezZ );
tmpmat4[1][2]  = 2.0f * ( PreyZ - PrewX );

tmpmat4[2][0]  = 2.0f * ( PrexZ - PrewY );
tmpmat4[2][1]  = 2.0f * ( PreyZ + PrewX );
tmpmat4[2][2]  = 1.0f - 2.0f * ( PrexX + PreyY );

tmpmat4[3][0] = 0.0f;
tmpmat4[3][1] = 0.0f;
tmpmat4[3][2] = 0.0f;
tmpmat4[0][3] = 0.0f;
tmpmat4[1][3] = 0.0f;
tmpmat4[2][3] = 0.0f;
tmpmat4[3][3] = 1.0f;
_TransformMatrix *= glm::transpose(tmpmat4);
}

mesh animations in quaternion space has caused me no end of troubles but im finally there!! woot
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013 by ninogenio »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 12, 2013 »
i'm thinking about GL a lot, but have written only a small amount of code lately due to the nice weather.

i'm still part way through implementing FBOs in my "scenes manager" and have begun a small sample app for another gl related project i'm just beginning to flesh out :)  (an interactive strobe effect to illustrate timing code is working)

also working towards some tidier shader management and integration of that with my "scenes manager" as an object. will be revisiting my timing code to work towards making it optionally use different methods.  under windows only for now, but rejig this will help make it cross-platform in the future.

i have a list of  plans for apps/effects, with steps to achieve them via a series of features i need in my library/scene graph to do them (nothing superfluous here unless i realise i've implemented something i didn't need later).

eventually these effects will hopefully result in demos or continue to exist and evolve as standalone entities, in which case they're likely to be one effect interactive demo style stuff.

Offline combatking0

• JavaScript lives!
  • DBF Aficionado
  • Retroman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 12, 2013 »
I've just come back from Blackpool - I'm thinking of making a wireframe fairground.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ninogenio

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 12, 2013 »
@Canopy.. that sounds like some really cool stuff! it really sounds like me and you are working on the same sort of things atm  :).. i cant wait too see what your framework/lib is capable of once its later stages. top stuff.

@Ck haha.. i had a similar idea after coming back from skeggnes a few weeks ago mainly after the red and yellow roller coasters down the market. i still keep meaning too do a wire frame roller coaster..

well as for me i smashed my hip up really bad yesterday racing the motor crosser so i have been laid up all day on strong pain killers. sooo.. extreme boredom and a whole day too code led too this  :).

http://www.dbfinteractive.com/forum/index.php?topic=6077.0
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Canopy

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 13, 2013 »
:)

think i'm not progressing as quickly though, another well timed (winter!) challenge might help though!

btw can't run the app as it needs the debug run-time. (i'm using vs2008) can you up a release build or one thats statically linked