Dark Bit Factory & Gravity

GENERAL => Projects => Topic started by: Shockwave on May 02, 2006

Title: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on May 02, 2006
Here's the follow up to Spaced Invaders. Unfortunately I do not have the source to this game any more and there are bugs! This version was only meant as a preview for testing purposes and there is no frame limiter on it.

If you have set up your video card to a very fast refresh rate then this game may be unplayable or very, very difficult.

It's meant to be set at 70hz.

Anyway, here it is for you to download and play. It isn't a demo I know but it's a laugh!

(http://www.dbfinteractive.com/games/spaced.PNG)

Here's the file (2mb) ;

http://www.dbfinteractive.com/games/spaced2.zip

Please post your high scores here!
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Roly on May 02, 2006
195500

Somewhere i have the source. Maybe we can bring it to an endversion

Røly
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Labyrnth on May 03, 2006
Quote
Unfortunately I do not have the source to this game any more and there are bugs!

Shockwave yo man the source is in the data folder.
I didnt know if you knew that after saying you lost the source to it.

Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on May 03, 2006
Thanks man, I didn't know that the source was in that zip, I'll leave it as it is for now :)

Roly, I will surely finish this game one day soon and include the rest of your great tunes.

By the way, 195500 is a sick score! Well done.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on May 16, 2006
Got a 156,400 today (not bad for someone with only one good hand!)
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: TheArchitect on May 16, 2006
This is one of the better space invaderz ive played :P.
Its addicting too, and this will hopefeully be my 1st game :P
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on May 16, 2006
See if you can top 200,000 :) It will be difficult though, this game is purposely very difficult. it's a follow up to an older version I did that you can get from the old site;

http://www.dbfinteractive.com/index.htm

Lots more demos there too
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: TheArchitect on May 16, 2006
OOOOH you know what I noticed??
In one of your demo's the "DBF Board Intro" you use a riff, slow song.
The same riff is used here in the techno, and it fits in well too!
good job roly, techno's the way to go for spaceshooters
sounds awesome.
btw, after several attempts i cant top 200k :p

peace out
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on May 16, 2006
200k is a sick score :)
The tune is a remix of a classic Phenomena demo tune on the Amiga
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: TheArchitect on May 16, 2006
kool stuff.
highest so far 60k :P
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on May 16, 2006
A few hints if you want to go for a huge score..
This is not technically cheating, I didn't limit the FPS in this game, it was meant to run at 70fps, some systems have a faster refresh so you could change your video card settings to get a slower refresh to make it a little easier.

Don't waste your bullets when you have a power up, also there are bonuses for accuracy and speed in clearing attack waves.

If you shoot the enemies in certain order you also get bonuses.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Rbz on May 18, 2006
Pretty cool game dude, my hiscore is 120020 !

Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Deleter on July 15, 2006
Cool, I made a space invaders clone as well
http://deleter.phatcode.net/spcinvade.html
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on July 15, 2006
Hmm, that's strange, the url you posted doesn't seem to be working for me there Deleter.
:(
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: TinDragon on July 16, 2006
I cant get Deleter's link to work either  :(

As for the game, I personally prefer the first one you made Shockwave. This one is ok but something about the first one makes me go back and play it every now and then. Maybe a freebasic remake of the first version next ;)
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on July 17, 2006
Cheers TD, I like this one best myself because it's harder, but you're not the only person to ever say this about the game, I had some emails saying exactly the same thing. The first one is still on the old dbf website if anyone feels like downloading it;

http://www.dbfinteractive.com/index.htm
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: psygate on August 07, 2006
I love that game ;D

The effects are freakin' awsome.
*Short comment. Need to go back to play the game*

psy
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on August 07, 2006
Thanks Psy, glad you like it :) Not everyone can cope with the difficulty.
I had so much fun making the hidden bonuses in this game and the different weapons. I might even make version 3 one day  :)
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: taj on September 07, 2006
Wow - so well executed. It was beautiful really.
My high score is embarressing and not in a good way.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on September 07, 2006
Lol :) It was also one of my very rare forrays into the world of pixel art! I'll have to make a SI3 one day.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: DrewPee on September 07, 2006
@Shockwave - yeah please make SI3 - in FreeBasic! Ive noticed if you play SI2 in a darkened room it makes your head hurt!  :whack: <- a bit like this!

Fantastic - absolutely fantastic.

Drew
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on September 07, 2006
It would be a good reason to make some collision routines I guess.. Hmm.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Clanky on October 22, 2006
WOW... what a game! no words can explain it apart from Pure Genius!  :cheers:
just cant beat 40,000  :-[
read the help or something and it said 100,000 was moderate? geez! must beat that score  >:D haha
awesome sounds too... with kickin music!! suits the space them real good
<<by the way>>
Bring on Spaced Invaders 3
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Clanky on October 25, 2006
 ???
my friend was playing SI 2 and the aliens went past him and off the screen. the point of my message is to say that if that happens you have to quit the game... just wondering if it would be better if you lost a life, got game under or they started to scroll from the top again????
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on October 25, 2006
Ohh.. That shouldn't have happened! They are supposed to stop just above the bottom.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Clanky on October 30, 2006
got 150,000 but the admin ICT deleted the computers stuff - damn... had like 4 good 25minute DreaMix mixes!!!!
so.. i will have to beat it again!!! mwaaaahahahahaha
nice stuff... must make Spaced Invaders 3!
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on October 31, 2006
150,000 is a really respectable score Clanky :)

The trick to a huge score is to learn how to use the power ups and to discover the bonuses, you can score quite heavily with those.

You can get a bonus for clearing a wave quickly (useful in later levels), and you can also get a score bonus for accuracy, however you need to be pretty accurate, it's best to do this in the earlier levels when you're not getting too much bombardment.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Clanky on November 13, 2006
oh yeah! 310,000!!!!!!!!!!  ;D :D
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on November 13, 2006
THAT is the best score ever reported so far! It must have been insanely difficult by then!
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: ferris on November 26, 2006
One word - PARTICLES!!!

Great stuff dude. Too bad I didn't have too much to do with the development (other than my high score ;) )

Keep it up!! (PleasE)
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on November 26, 2006
Got to love particles :) I'll surely do a follow up to this in the coming 12 months.. I don't know how I am going to make it madder but I'll try.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: mike_g on December 30, 2006
Hey, I remember this game from CW. The effects are awesome and the sound is very nice too. I found the sideways movement just a little too sensitive though. Kept banging myself sideways into the bullets. Other than that its all good :)
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on December 30, 2006
Thanks Mike :) Glad you liked it.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Clanky on December 08, 2010
Aww went to download the .zip and it couldn't be found  :-[
Is it possible for it to be reuped? Would love to add it to my new laptop, such a suburb game.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on December 08, 2010
Here you go :)
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: benny! on December 09, 2010
GREAT ONE SHOCKY!
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: spitfire on December 09, 2010
I havent seen this bfore, its really fun! I wonder how much other stuff there is on this forum I havent seen.

Would it be possible to make a page of all attachments like an ftp server? The advanced search doesnt have the option to show all posts with attachments.
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Clanky on December 10, 2010
Thanks Shockwave : )
Love it  :bananaphallus:
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: staticgerbil on December 10, 2010
Very nice Shockwave!

I can see myself getting addicted to that when I get home :)
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Jim on December 10, 2010
Great game, just needs a few more particles... :P ;)
Jim
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on December 10, 2010
You can never have too many particles :)
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: ninogenio on December 10, 2010
just too add too what everyone else has said sw this is excellent.

but then again i expected no less, your games are always up there, you obviously spend a lot of time going over the finer details in your games gfx and gameplay wise and it makes all the difference.

i remember the first game i played of yours way back when i first got into coding in yabasic it was pacman and you did some sort of trick wth the framebuffer so that you only double buffered the cells that were moving so you could add loads of stuff. i was gob smacked even yet it looks great!  even from back then the games are easily identified as yours :kewl:
Title: Re: Spaced Invaders 2
Post by: Shockwave on December 10, 2010
Thanks for the nice comments.

I can't believe that it's been 5 years since I wrote this game..
I'm working on a website for someone at the moment and the christmas thingy for the forum, perhaps I'll make the sequel to Spaced Invaders 2 next year :) I always meant to do another game.