Dark Bit Factory & Gravity
GENERAL => Projects => Topic started by: Shockwave on August 11, 2008
-
Blah!
So I struck the keys randomly and the computer puked this out...
I might even finish it, I know someone who asked me for a chessboard a long time ago :-X
-
Nice idea, not sure if it's just my eyes, but looks like your cube shadows have some lights turned on ;D
Looking forward to see this intro released!
-
Looked really nice until the whole thing started leaking memory and went to a white screen. I really like the color choice. You Do have an eye for pleasing colors. A subtle theme in all of your work.
-
Indeed. I like cubes and chessboards ... so I love this
effect. Definately worth finishing it.
-
gives me a "Mental Hangover" feeling ;)
-
I love the checkboard and keep going shocky :)
-
Many thanks for the feedback folks!
P_O, There shouldn't be any memory leaks. Does it always crash with that same bug?
Rbz, yes you're right I left the lights on... Ooops!
Stormbringer, all the best ideas have been done before ;)
Hotty, Thanks. :)
-
Awsome dude just hope you don't bin it like you did with this one
http://dbfinteractive.com/forum/index.php?topic=2102.0
Check mate
;)
-
Here's an update;
Delta timing added
Lighting on shadows turned off
Colours tweaked a little
Shadows get smaller when cubes bounce up now
-
Yeah ... this version rocks.
small problem when running in window mode an the window
is losing focus - the program crashes here on Vista.
Anyway - great improvements!
-
Cheers for the heads up Benny :)
It's certainly because of the hacked framework. I'll be using a bigger (and safer) framework when it's finished.
-
Some thoughts:
- It seems like the lighting doesn't fit the direction of the shadows
- The cubes move very slowly in comparism to the rotation-speed
- Don't let the cubes intersect each other
- The checker appears very flat (doesn't fit the depth of the scene)
- What about a bit of transparency of the cubes?
- The cubes appear to have no weight (you could use a damping-factor on rotation & bouncing)
- Select a position for the light-source that makes the shadow look more interesting (don't project straight down)
- How about making the cubes shadow each other?
- Let an artist pick the colours ;)
-
Thanks for the suggestions Hellfire, I will probably impliment all of them, they'd all help :)
-
I have the same issue with crashing as Benny on vista, does look like its going to give the error when fullscreen but seems to actually close so not sure if its a cleanup on exit problem?
As for the effect, I like it and with some refinements from that list it will only get better. Can I ask is this using rabz ptc-ext in FB and all done drawing pixels wise ?
I only just downloaded rabz version and setup FB a day or so ago when I found my FB code on an old PC while looking for something else. zawran and I had started making a library of functions for pixel drawing and were looking at converting are vector lib but never did, I got sidetracked into gaming and only recently looked at coding again.
-
As for the effect, I like it and with some refinements from that list it will only get better. Can I ask is this using rabz ptc-ext in FB and all done drawing pixels wise ?
Hi Jon, good to read a post from you again :)
I wish I could say that this was done pixelwise, it's made with Opengl though.
Rbz's ptc_ext is a heck of a good tool to use, in my opinion it beats things like tinyptc and pixeltoaster hands down because just like those other libraries it's small, but it also has some more great features like mouse and window control and it's compatible with mmx instruction set, if you're looking for something to port your engine to then you could do a lot worse.
-
Ah using opengl, I was wondering how you were moving so much so fast :D
Is it still coded in freebasic or have you used C/C++ or something else, I recall opengl being available in freebasic but since I have blitzmax I just never looked at that side in FB. As for the vector engine, I did start converting it to bmax and using the inbuilt poly commands but never finished and it seems abit silly when I could code it as a proper 3d engine using opengl in bmax anyway. I might have a bash at converting the basics over to FB if I get bored or stuck on other projects as I think doing it perpixel suits were it came from better ;)
cheers
jon
-
Looks nice but crashes after about 5 seconds for me. :(
Jim
-
Cool Chequer-bored motion and cubes dude.
It doesnt crash for me in Vista.
-
very nice
no crashes on my Vista Machine both modes
think it would be better IMFUHO if the checkerboard were stationary, no camera movement and the cubes bounced and moved toward the camera.
-
Cheers :)
Ghost, I think I will try it like that just to see how it looks, both stationary and with a very slow moving board.
Jim, I am sure it's because of the hacked framework, I'll put it into a better one for the weekend if I can just grab an hour :)
Thanks for testing it chaps, I appreciate your time.
-
Here it is after I tried some of the suggestions.
Thanks to dicab/alcatraz for the advice on the colours.. I sought his help Hellfire, I am terrible at choosing colours. Thanks to everyone here who helped out so far.
-
Very stylish color-scheme. Fits perfectly !
-
Ta Benny :)
I wish I was better at choosing them myself, but it seems like I am doomed to need the help of an artist forever!
-
Looking good dude, maybe have the shadows a darker shade of the cubes, instead of all blackish.
-
So more like reflections Clyde? :)
-
I love this demo its good to see you finished this mate rather than bin it. :clap:
I'd be happy to have 1% of your talent well done mate. :cheers:
-
I think the colours are good but the texture's not very exciting :) This one doesn't crash until you try to minimise or exit it :)
A note - things don't bounce in sin waves, they bounce in parabolas. I'm not sure I can actually see the difference here, but I meant to point it out in your other post...and it might always be what you wanted anyway :D
Jim
-
Wow Shockie!!! :clap:
Looks quite coool...
-
Much better! :)
Now that the cubes have a little transparency, they look a bit jellyish. maybe you can "squeeze" them a bit when hitting the floor.
-
I love this demo its good to see you finished this mate rather than bin it. :clap:
I'd be happy to have 1% of your talent well done mate. :cheers:
This is far from finished :) There's still time for it to go in the bin! Hehehe. Thanks though.
Wow Shockie!!! :clap:
Looks quite coool...
Thanks :)
I think the colours are good but the texture's not very exciting :) This one doesn't crash until you try to minimise or exit it :)
A note - things don't bounce in sin waves, they bounce in parabolas. I'm not sure I can actually see the difference here, but I meant to point it out in your other post...and it might always be what you wanted anyway :D
Thanks for the points you raise here, the exit bug is pretty much down to the hacked framework, I will change it before I release it. The sin cheat I used is almost like a parabola so it will do here. The problem I had was to make the cubes all reach a consistent height no matter how long the frame took to draw, bearing in mind I am using a delta value to move the cubes.
Sorry that I crashed your computer again mate.
Much better! :)
Now that the cubes have a little transparency, they look a bit jellyish. maybe you can "squeeze" them a bit when hitting the floor.
That would look great! Thanks Hellfire :)
-
Neat.
Would be fun to see the cubes squash a bit when they hit the ground.
[edit] :p just saw that Hellfire suggested that too [/edit]
-
@Shockwave: Yes dude, a bit more like reflections.
-
looking good and keep it up eh! ;)
:cheers:
-
Cheers :)
Seeing as both Hellfire and p01 suggest squishy cubes I guess that I'd better try it!
-
Cool Jelly Vectors.
-
LOVE THIS! I could see this developing into a killer demo! old skool all the way :)