Dark Bit Factory & Gravity

GENERAL => General chat => Topic started by: Clyde on May 31, 2010

Title: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on May 31, 2010
I've never had any luck with this ( installing a HD and WorkBench), if anyone knows how to run aga demos,could you give steps on what to do please? Also I don't want to muck up my pc.
 
Muchos Gracias Amigas,
Clyde.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: bikerboy on May 31, 2010
from what i can remember (long time since i used winUAE)

you need the original amiga roms, and you specify an amount of space of your HD so that winUAE will make that space "amiga usable".

from what i can remember you can allways "delete" that space so you can have it for win.

also i think you can access that space from win like a folder and add adf files or other amiga stuff.

hold on i'm gonna install it remember everything and let you know for sure ;)

.:EDIT:.  you go to the menu on the left and click "hard drives".

then on the right you select a hard drive from your pc "add hard drive".

after you selected a hard drive you see it on the list, you check it and you press "properties" and "create hard disk image file" and when i do that id gives an error  :skint: :skint: dunno but that's what i was doing in the older version i had.

now i installed 2.1.0 (210.04.28)

Ps. hmmm weird now that i look in my desktop it did create the .hdf allthough it gave the error, and now that i tried to load it it gave another error and it crashed lol?  :P

does winUAE works for win 7? ???

.:EDIT:. yup this helps for sure  ;)

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/help/tutorial_1/1.php

or maybe it's better to use amikit? going to check it out

http://www.thecryptmag.com/amikit/

.:EDIT:. ok amikit install with winuae but it requires to have the original os (3.5-3.9 and some others) in cd so it can install it.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: padman on May 31, 2010
If you need a link to a site with a bunch of Amiga ROMs drop me a PM.  ;)

ROMs included are:

ROM v1.1 (A1000/NTSC) rev. 31.34 
ROM v1.2 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev. 33.180 
ROM v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev. 34.5
ROM v2.04 (A500+) rev. 37.175
ROM v3.0 (A1200) rev. 39.106
ROM v3.1 (A500,A600,A2000) rev. 40.10 
ROM v3.5 (A500 - A4000) rev. 40.1

Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: bikerboy on May 31, 2010
if i'm not mistaken, when you select A1200 winuae asks for a specific rom version -> Amiga Kickstart 3.1 (40.068) (A1200) (Commodore) (1993)

that's the only amiga i was emulating.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Hotshot on May 31, 2010
I did rather play the real amiga instead of WinAUE!

I still have Amiga 500, 600 and Amiga 1200 with 16MB Ram and also 1,000 Games and Demo in the amiga hard drive too  ;) :kewl:
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on May 31, 2010
I did rather play the real amiga instead of WinAUE!

I still have Amiga 500, 600 and Amiga 1200 with 16MB Ram and also 1,000 Games and Demo in the amiga hard drive too  ;) :kewl:

i still have several Amiga setups (A1200+030@50, A1200+060@50, A500, A500+ w/030@16 and some other goods here and there) which I personally prefer to run demos and games on... but i must admit that (most of the times) i just need to refresh my memory or I'm just curious but I'm feeling simply too lazy to take off the shelves the needed hw, transfer the software to the real thing and then give it a run...
I'm still 100% sure that running every kind of demo/game onto the real thing looks better, sounds better, feel better than in whatever emu out there.
Most of the time WinUAE/E-UAE get the job done wonderfully but, if I'm still dubious about anything particular, or the damn thing simply won't run the right way (or won't run at all) I get the necessary motivation to connect the needed hardware to make it run.
Emus are simply damned comfortable for the daily use (WinUAE for Amiga, Vice for C64)... if you are looking for a good pre-build setup you can consider a commercial package as Amigaforever o C64forever (they have a very clean and simple interface, Google for them and give'em a try).
You can use a preconfigured system like Classic Workbench or Amigasys (I reccomend them both for different reasons, Classic Workbench "LITE" for speed and semplicity... Amigasys or Classic Workbench UAE for RTG and fully useable eye-catching system); please keep in mind that you must OWN every real amiga kickstarts AND Workbench Disks you will use in the emulator (that's why I like Amiga Forever package which lets you legally have/use ALL of the available kickstarts AND Workbench, at a fair price).

I've never had any luck with this ( installing a HD and WorkBench), if anyone knows how to run aga demos...
Find yourself a 3.1 kickstart rom and a workbench 3.1 disk set, download Classic Workbench Lite... setup WinUAE for the A1200 environment (2MB Chip + 64MB Fast if needed)... Keep the workbench disks at hand and start setup Classic Workbench (you'll find detailed info on the main website http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/download.htm and http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm)... follow the step-by-step guide... once finished you'll have a fully working Amiga AGA setup... now you need to simplyfy amiga<>pc transfer by configuring a "shared" pc directory within WinUAE... you're done.
If you can't run a particular demo please READ the included nfo file (memory requirements, RTG compatibility, FAST-ram issues, needed files... and so on)

cheers!

and remember: Google is always your friend! ;-)
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Jim on June 01, 2010
As far as I know you need a 3.x kickstart, 2Mb of chip mem, full AGA, and a 68020 with no fpu co-pro.
I guess there are some demos that run from HD, there's definitely an option to make a normal Windows folder appear as a HD for the Amiga.
Some demos will need fast mem too.  Others will crash with it there.  That's the reason a lot of A500 demos don't work - they assume an Amiga with > 512Kb memory must have some fast mem, which A1200s will not.

Jim
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: hellfire on June 01, 2010
i still have several Amiga setups (A1200+030@50, A1200+060@50, A500, A500+ w/030@16 and some other goods here and there)
Lucky you.
I was looking for a working 68060 a while ago but they were all completely out of my budget.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 01, 2010
Lucky you.
I was looking for a working 68060 a while ago but they were all completely out of my budget.

my 060 was out of budget too... i bought it as soon as it goes gold back in the days... don't even make me think about it twice!  :-)
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Jim on June 01, 2010
They're great, it means you can play Buggy Boy real fast! :D

Jim
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 01, 2010
They're great, it means you can play Buggy Boy real fast! :D

Jim


LOL!!!!!!!   ;)


anyway, recently I added more stuff to my Amiga setups (IndivisionAGA, CF<>IDE-adapter and CF<>PCMCIA adapter on A1200... dual-IndivisionECS and viper030 on A500+...) but I learnt myself that a "simple" Indivision can't replace a RGT graphics card... so, if you're planning to expand an A1200/A3000/A4000 consider a 040 or 060 + Cibervision64 or Picasso gfx card (being true to myself I just expected too much from an evolved flicker-fixer) if you really want to enjoy a true Amiga feeling.
Most of the Amiga hw is very overpriced, if you just need to enjoy some demos/games i suggest the AmigaForever-emu way (it has a very simple user interface, consider it as a MP3-like player for Amiga software... Considering the Premium Package you get a video DVD with most of CBM-Amiga related info and folklore).
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 01, 2010
As far as I know you need a 3.x kickstart, 2Mb of chip mem, full AGA, and a 68020 with no fpu co-pro.
I guess there are some demos that run from HD, there's definitely an option to make a normal Windows folder appear as a HD for the Amiga.
Some demos will need fast mem too.  Others will crash with it there.  That's the reason a lot of A500 demos don't work - they assume an Amiga with > 512Kb memory must have some fast mem, which A1200s will not.

Jim


that's why i ALWAYS suggest to read the accompaining demo info/readme file...

Maybe having a look at Pouet.net doing a fast search gives you most of the needed info to run a OCS/ECS/AGA/RTG demo/intro but most ot the older demos just crash if you have Fastmem above 4MB.. or if your setup has more than 1 fdd... Sometimes getting a particulor intro/demo to run could be tricky for a non-oldschool Amiga user.. ;-)

;-)
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: padman on June 01, 2010
Actually it ain't that difficult. Simply make a new folder on your PC harddisk. Then in WinUAE go to: Setting/Hardware/Hard Drives. Click on "Add Directory", find the folder you just created. Now you got a working harddisk, where you can put files in as much as you want. Run WinUAE and the harddisk will appear on your Workbench screen. But don't forget to save your configuration, otherwise WinUAE won't find the harddisk next time you fire it up.


Edit: Huh? Where did Clyde's question go. Did you delete it? Anyways, this is how it works.  ;)
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 01, 2010
Cheers all! :D
Time to watch AGA-ness :)
As they say, it's easy when you know how.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 01, 2010
So'z there Padman, as I was typing I suddenly realised to select Show All in the Menu.

Next question, whilst I was installing WB3.1 it said that there wasnt enough space in systems to install the fonts. I've free'd up some space elsewhere on my PC. I'd like to know how I can install the WB fonts, or do I need to reinstall wb?
 
Also, when a demo is in .dms and not an executable, is there a process to convert them?
 
thanks,
Clyde.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: padman on June 01, 2010
Can't help you with the fonts problem, since I never needed that in WinUAE, but I bet one of the Amiga gurus here will help ya.  ;)

About the dms thing: DMS is a floppy disk image (just like ADF files). That means: Insert the DMS file into an emulated floppy drive in WinUAE and hit start. It'll boot from this disk then.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 01, 2010
yeah & thanks I thought that the case, just wondered seeming as in workbench there was a way.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 01, 2010
Next question, whilst I was installing WB3.1 it said that there wasnt enough space in systems to install the fonts. I've free'd up some space elsewhere on my PC. I'd like to know how I can install the WB fonts, or do I need to reinstall wb?
how could it be, that's sound odd to me? how much space did you reserve for System HDD???... but if you have now freed enough space you can simply copy the whole content of FONTS diskette into the corresponding FONTS: assign... it's that simple...


BTW, if you haven't heavily configured yout system yet I suggest you to reinstall from scratch using at least 2 virtual partitions

DH0:  (system: 200MB just to have some room for future add-ons or enhancements)
DH1:  (work: as you wish, but keep in mind that standard FFS does not allow more than 4GB!!!)


As padman said DMS is just like ADF (maybe ADF is a sort-of DMS's son), you can find many tools that let you mount disk images right inside Amiga emulation with fmsdisk (http://www.aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fmsdisk), FMS or Virtualfloppy (aminet is a goldmine for every amiga user needs)... so you can run, extract or convert many different formats to what you're looking for.

There is WHDLoad also (http://www.whdload.de/) that lets you have 85% of Amiga floppy based software installed into HDD... then you can look for KGWHD in google.

have a nice day! ;-)
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 01, 2010
Ok, thanks heaps for the tips.

I followed the tutorial on Amiga Lemon. And I think I have it set for 4 Hard Drives, DH0-DH4, I've been crafty and added a Demos one. ;)

I do want to reinstall Workbench from scratch, so I can get the WB3.1 - Fonts. but It tells me that the folder is full and write protected.
I've tried some google searches, but most of them are no longer valid and so it redirects me to daft places.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: bikerboy on June 02, 2010
installed amikit with os 3,9 ... it's a no go  :o every setup i tried ended up giving the guru screen after boot :telloff: lol

so i ended up with amikit and os version 3,5 wich works like a charm.

i made no changes to winuae (amikit fixed everything), also downloaded every whdload demo i could find and tested many of those, also works fine.

and what i have discovered just now is that winuae recognises my 360 win controller :o :o so i was really happy to play again dogs of war   :updance:

time to get some more whdload games  :P :P

and for those that want the games straight from their publisher, Gremlin & Magnetic Fields are giving their games for the amiga for free  :updance:

http://gremlinworld.emuunlim.com/amiga.htm

edit: added a screen of my current workbench screen
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 02, 2010
and for those that want the games straight from their publisher, Gremlin & Magnetic Fields are giving their games for the amiga for free  :updance:

http://gremlinworld.emuunlim.com/amiga.htm

Factor5 also gives free downloads here http://www.factor5.de/downloads.shtml
but remember that thay "are not provided for the public domain. You are entitled to download and use these games only for non-commercial purposes. "

or there is also http://www.factor5.de/downloads_backups.shtml that the company gives away as backups with this clause: "Since we are the only ones who still have the original masters of our games, we have transferred all disks with the original copy protection fully intact to the UAE-compatible ADF-format. These disk-images are backups for owners of the original games. If you do not own the original of one of these games, you are not allowed to download the backup copy"


so take a closer look at the d/l policy of all so-called "free-games" downloads out there...
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 02, 2010
installed amikit with os 3,9 ... it's a no go  :o every setup i tried ended up giving the guru screen after boot :telloff: lol

so i ended up with amikit and os version 3,5 wich works like a charm.

I personally do not like Amikit that much and the same goes for AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9... those setups does not maintain a true Amiga-Feeling since they have introduced too many patches to the latest Workbench 3.1.

I mean that true Amiga spirit goes with nearly unmodified A500/A2000 (OCS/ECS) or A1200/A4000 (AGA) ... CPUs between 68000-->68040 (060 and PPC needs many patched to be used)... KSs 1.2--->3.1....
I admit that some memory upgrades (Chip/Fast/Ranger), HD-floppy disk drives or HDD makes life with Amiga a lot more easier...
but... adding DSP audio cards and (pc-derived-chipset)Graphic Cards make Amiga look like a sort of frankenstein-alike MoBo card with a nice OS running on top of it without those things that made Amiga what we call AMIGA!

Expressing those feelings in my mother tongue is a little bit tricky, just imagine what this could be in a foreingn language I'm not fluent or using daily...

Hope you got the idea...

cheers!
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: bikerboy on June 02, 2010
i know what you mean.

a few years back when i used to emulate my real A1200 i used only 8mb fast and the 68040 i had with 3.1 workbench and new icons only.

i just wanted to give this setup a try to see how it goes, but i can always drop the memory and cpu and everything to make it the real deal from inside the emulator that's not a problem ;)

the nice thing is that i can play amiga games now with the controller ;D :updance:
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 02, 2010
i just wanted to give this setup a try to see how it goes

just give a try to http://www.amigasys.com

or http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/downloaduae.htm

I'm actually using AmigaSys4 or ClassicWorkbenchLITE on my real A1200
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 02, 2010
Ok, thanks heaps for the tips.

I followed the tutorial on Amiga Lemon. And I think I have it set for 4 Hard Drives, DH0-DH4, I've been crafty and added a Demos one.

I do want to reinstall Workbench from scratch, so I can get the WB3.1 - Fonts. but It tells me that the folder is full and write protected.
I've tried some google searches, but most of them are no longer valid and so it redirects me to daft places.
 
Edit: It's flooded back to me that there are different Amigas with the AGA chipset. So, this will call for different Hard Drive folders, example A1200 Hard Drive and A4000 Hard Drive.
 
What I'd like to know from Amiga Gurus, is what is a good / average setup for watching most Advanced Graphics Architecture demos ;) I ask, as it was mentioned earlier about fast / slow ram. And the readmes I've looked at dont mention configs.
 
Thanks,
Clyde
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: bikerboy on June 02, 2010
from what i've read here http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/index.php

if you get the WHDLoad packs of the demos then you will be able to run all those demos with any cpu/ram configuration.

they did it this way so the user doesn't have to change his config every time he wants to view a certain demo.

just extract them using dir opus or any other proggie you like to your demos HD and run them.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 03, 2010
What I'd like to know from Amiga Gurus, is what is a good / average setup for watching most Advanced Graphics Architecture demos ;) I ask, as it was mentioned earlier about fast / slow ram. And the readmes I've looked at dont mention configs.

you need to figure out which kind of Amiga you need to have to make a particular demo/intro run properly. You can guess it by taking a loot at the release date or what Kickstart version is required...
You do not need different HardDrive setups between A1200/A4000 (AGA machines), that's totally useless... what you really need to know is, mostly, hardware related infos like: RAM config, OCS/ECS/AGA Chipset, RTG-Graphics (P96, CgFX, ), needed Libraries (Math Libs, Packer Libs etc etc tec), minimum CPU (000, 020, 030, 040, 060 or PPC), Cache status (for PPC) or enabled/disabled CPU instruction set (060 w/superscalar enabled or not)...
Trying to run some Amiga demos reminds a sort of alchemy with early MS-DOS demo which required a very particular memory config under 640kb of RAM... you needed to have very strange AUTOEXEC/CONFIG files setups to reach 600kb-free or 610kb-free... With Amiga you need to understand which is the hardware you must have to run the demo before messing with Workbench...
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 03, 2010
I've installed Picasso96, and the latest winUAE ( not the miss spelt topic title AUE, i guess i do they as I think of windows Amiga )
but everytime I launch the A1200 HD configuration I still get told to update LIBS:rtg library from the AMiga programs folder, which I have done, yet it still yells at me.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 04, 2010
but everytime I launch the A1200 HD configuration I still get told to update LIBS:rtg library

a little bit "generic"... anyway... please give us more info about Workbench version (is it a vanilla 3.1 or 3.5/3.9... and in the latter with or without BoingBags installed?)... have you installed the latest Amikit distro with all of the available updates?
Have you deeply read the docs which comes with Amikit? didi you dig into the Amikit forum?

I gave Amikit a couple of runs in the past but I've alwayes ended up with an unstable system (maybe I'm just not as good with advanced amiga configs) so I rolled back wit the simplest system I found: Classic Workbench Lite (vanilla 3.1 OS, no Scalos, no frills... just a working base and fast system that I slightly modified adding some licensed components like WHDL, MUI, CED, Miami... some useful tools like AHX, AsmONE, Protracker, Fat95... some needed Libs to make my 060 to work reliable... and then lots of Demos already available to download as WHDL packages)... I just need to upgrade to the latest ClassicWB released in december 2009 ... but i do not have the time to do all the necessary post-install setup/config... too bad!!!

I know, AmigaOS running in RTG mode is very cute...

I'm very oldschool, never owned a amiga-gfx-card so I rely upon setups that works right-out-of-the-box at a first run... I would like tu understand deeply the way someone else did those beautiful pre-installed systems but I simply do not have that much spare time...
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 04, 2010
All I've done is install picasso96 on workbench 3.1.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinAUE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 05, 2010
http://guide.abime.net/wb3.1/chap1.htm

http://www.vware.at/winuaehelp/emulation/picasso.htm

...but, please, tell me... what's the reason why you're trying to setup a P96 system to run AGA software? ...seems little nonsense to me...

I know that there are some RTG demos out there but not that much after all (just did an A.D.A. fast search and it returned 1 entry as GFX support and 30 entries for AGA/GFX... http://ada.untergrund.net/?p=demos&y=0&c=0&h=6&v=0), the most advanced demos I'm aware of are build with PPC and/or Permedia2 hardware support (http://ada.untergrund.net/?p=demos&y=0&c=0&h=7&v=0 keep in mind that you need a real fully expanded miggy tu run them since there isn't yet any capable emulator I'm aware of... finding the necessary HW can be very expensive... better do a youtube search first).

please don't take me wrong... I lova Amiga but, when I need bigger resolutions or better software I switch back to my Win or Linux box and they get the job done in a fraction of the time with almost no delays... I would feel a little bit foolish to use, say, DeluxePaintII instead of GIMP or Grafx2 for pixeling... even a simple slideshow would be more pleasant running on a powerful system than an emulated Amiga... Maybe it might be a totally different story if you are on the real thing with a Picasso board you WANT to work as it should expected to be...

to enjoy intros and demos you need a very basic setup, some useful setups info could be found here:
http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7772
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 05, 2010
I've not installed it to watch demos with, it was recommended for Work Bench in one of them guides. I guess I am going to have to live with that stupid pop up.

Time to find some more AGA Goodies.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 05, 2010
trying to get demos to install with "whdload", it says I need the latest version of  "installer" i have version 43_3 which is included with this guide ( which doesnt have updated tools" : http://guide.abime.net/wb3.1/chap4.htm.
And i dont know how to uninstall the previous version if thats needed.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 06, 2010
And i dont know how to uninstall the previous version if thats needed.

1st of all please consider that InstallerNG in not fully compatible with older version of Amiga Installer v43.3 (iNG is targeted towards more recent AmigaOS versions but in ***think*** it could be used on 3.1 also, just give it a try!! most useful semi official things could be found here http://os.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=37)!

You could keep the older installer by just renaming it in your SYSTEM:C path

http://ing.light-speed.de/

or take a look here: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48926

hope that helps!  ;-)

cheers
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 06, 2010
All I've done is install picasso96 on workbench 3.1.

give http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/download.htm a try, you won't be disappointed... it is basically a standard AmigaOS 3.1 setup whit everything done the right way... you just need to have at hand the installation workbench floppy disks.

;)
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 07, 2010
Thanks Moroboshisan.
Im trying to figure out how to install Classic WB.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 07, 2010
Im trying to figure out how to install Classic WB.

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm

basically (extract from instructions with screenshots from the link above):

A WinUAE config file is supplied inside the archive (among other things you'll find useful if you want to setup the system onto a real Amiga), you just need to modify patch according to your specific setup.

Required
    * Emulator to run the HDF provided (WinUAE is assumed)
    * 3.1 ROM (A1200 rev. 40.68)
    * Workbench 3.1 ADF (full diskset reccommended for best results)
Instructions
   1. Place the "ClassicWB.UAE" file into the WinUAE configurations directory.
   2. Start WinUAE and load the ClassicWB config.
   3. Select a relevant ROM file in the ROMS tab.
   4. Add the "System.hdf" file to the Hard Drives tab using "Add Hardfile" - make sure it's listed as being device DH0:
   5. Save the configuration.
   6. Boot and follow the on-screen instructions.
   7. When asked to instert a Workbench 3 disk, hit F12, enter the Floppy Drives tab and select an ADF for DF0:

Don't forget to set your locale/keymap/regional setting

get some practice with WinUAE config setups so you can have multiple instances of the system (I personally have http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/lite.htm and http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/uae.htm and http://amigasys.condor.serverpro3.com/downloadwinuae.html and a base AmigaOS 3.1).

Once you had figured out how the setup process works I suggest you to backup the working hardfile/s just to have a fast restore point without the need to do the setup process again.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 08, 2010
Thanks, now I need to sort out why I have a tiny window for workbench using classicWB full. I've gone into screenmode and changed the display in winUAE, but that hasn't done it.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 08, 2010
Thanks, now I need to sort out why I have a tiny window for workbench using classicWB full. I've gone into screenmode and changed the display in winUAE, but that hasn't done it.

did you select the right Monitor type and right resolution??
Have you adjustied the overscan area if needed?

For RTG screenmodes I prefer to have WinUAE to use fullscreen for monitor native resolution. (you can always show the WinUAE menu by pressing F12)
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 08, 2010
yes dude to the best of my knowledge. in Screen Mode it doesnt have any UAE settings.

So I have tried to download the WinAue exe version of Classic WB, but it told me I was low on disk space, so I freed up some space, then went to download it again but now after extracting nothing happens.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 09, 2010
below you can take a look at my current WinUAE 2.1.0 with AmigaSys gfx setup screenshots.

in a base system with NO picasso modes you can use the freely available HighGFX from Aminet http://aminet.net/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6.lha (more info from taken from the readme here http://aminet.net/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6.readme).
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 09, 2010
Downloaded AmigaSys 4 AGA from www.amigasys.com (http://www.amigasys.com/) , and set it up.
 
Still my screen is tiny and looks nothing compared to yours.
if i change in the preferences in WB - screen mode, to a setting that's near enough to my monitor res ( Hires Interlaced. I thinks ) it's squished up and is unreadable. Overscan only allows for the small window.

I've reduced the size of this attachment, it should be 1152x864x75hz
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 09, 2010
Downloaded AmigaSys 4 AGA

 :o

I see... you are doing something wrong for sure... double check everything, I'm sure you missed a little pass (you forgot to save the actual modified config on the Emulator side or in the Amiga side ... or something like that).

Better restart from scratch, uninstall WinUAE and then reinstall it (http://www.winuae.net/files/InstallWinUAE2100.exe)... set the correct paths to your Kickstart dump/s and Workbench ADF images and then:

1 - download an already UAE/GfxCard enabled system like http://amigasys.condor.serverpro3.com/download/AmigaSYS4.exe and BEFORE starting the exe be sure to read the offline manual http://amigasys.condor.serverpro3.com/download/AmigaSYSHelpWinUAE.zip available in multiple languages...

2 - follow the online english instructions carefully

3 - once you're done and your system (hopefully) is up and running upgrade to the latest 1.3 version to date by using this http://amigasys.condor.serverpro3.com/download/AmigaSYS4-UAE-R1.3.zip

AmigaSYS update:
3-1, Unpack Update file.
3-2, Start WinUAE.exe, Load AmigaSYS 4 config file
3-3, Go Hard drives settings, Add update file Add Update (Add Hardfile...)
3-4, Press start button.
3-5, Wait, loading system... and double click AmigaSYS4 upgrade icon.
3-6, Start Installer and follow onscreen instructions.
3-7, Once the process is done reboot your emulated Amiga and, if you did everything the right way, it MUST work !!!


once you have a working system you can try to install other pre-build systems (since Amigasys hardfiles have the same name you need to pay attention not to mess with your working config, mind it!).


The screenshot you have taken isn't really self-explanatory (except from the fact that seems like you are running on the wrong Amiga screenmode from the "WinUAE Properties/Host/Display" then "Settings/Resolution"... are you sure you have "Hires (normal)" selected?)
I can't believe WinUAE is refusing to work on your computer, I'm running mine on an Acer Aspire 5710 with an Intel Gfx board (no fancy ATI or nVIDIA monsters) with WinXP-SP3 and the latest DirectX.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 10, 2010
great thats working. it must of been some corrupting between the various HD configs. can I now remove the update rc3 of AmigaSys?

Now, I need to figure out and find proper instructions to put whdload on it? as im hoping that I can watch various demos in full screen, as I see those in a window frame like the attachment image earlier ron.

Cheers,
Clyde.
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Moroboshisan on June 10, 2010
great thats working.
HURRA! ^_^

can I now remove the update rc3 of AmigaSys?
Once you have successfully updated your system you can safely remove the hardfile from WinUAE HDD-list

Now, I need to figure out and find proper instructions to put whdload on it?
WHDload is already available in AmigaSYS, I think you just need to read http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/index.html ...

now it's up to you...

good luck! ;-)
Title: Re: How do you setup WinUAE to watch AGA demos
Post by: Clyde on June 10, 2010
Im posting this in the Emu. :D
I've read the readme, which isnt very intuitive. it says that whload cd32 is there, but I can't find it any where.
 
I guess it's a hidden tool, not as I imagined.
I can see the point of WHDLoad, though you still need the .adf / .dms which you can bung in the floppy in quick start. However, watching any demo results in it being a small window.