Dark Bit Factory & Gravity
GENERAL => Projects => Topic started by: Xetick on January 15, 2011
-
Though I share a little image of a scene I have been working on
It looks better in motion but a screenshot will have to do for now
(http://www.plane9.com/ext/20110114-fire.jpg)
In the background is a perlin noise based fire effect. The fire is 2d but the noise is 3d so it moves correctly though time also. The effect of little sparks is also simulated by a simple particle system using the same gradient as the fire.
In the front we have PQ torus with a faked subsurface scattering. A bit hard to see in the screenshot but it looks very good in motion specially since it's completely faked and thus very fast.
Based on work by InvalidPointer (http://www.gamedev.net/topic/481494-sub-surface-scattering-hack--comments-wanted-/)
The light in the torus also beats to the sound of the music for extra effect
-
Wow, even the sreenshot with the background effect and the pq torus in front looks very nice! I really like the colors of the fire effect and its smoke - great work! The stuff with sync to the music beat sound even more great ;) Really nice work!
-
I really like the colours you've used in the flames.
It looks great as a static shot, it will look awesome in motion!
-
Thanks! I managed to create a youtube video of the effect.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFXnl5xoVbg[/youtube]
Problem is that the program captures 'what you hear' from the computer and uses that for the PQ torus. But I was unable to create a movie that could record 'what you hear' from the computer and at the same time capture the movie in realtime so the movie is without sound. Just image myonandshane54 #56 (http://www.myonandshane54.com/id/radio_player.php?episode=56) running in the background :-X
-
Nice work :up: I like it (I would have flash the fire colour or background too on music sync :p)
-
@Xetick:
To records video with audio, you can use following tool:
CamStudio-Recorder (OpenSource == http://camstudio.org/ (http://camstudio.org/) )
The recorded video will open a movieplayer (i am using MediPlayer Classic for this) and from the player you can save the movie to the place you want! However, the filesize of the recorded video is really big, i am using VirtualDub, load in the recoded video, Setting the menu video->compression function to MicrosoftVideo1 and the quality... Just save it and you have a small tiny video ;) Hope it helps ^^
-
That's an interesting shape - it's twisting my mind even further :o
The fire effect is also quite realistic. It's easy to forget that its 2D.
-
Very nice to see those flames moving. It looks very good.
-
CamStudio-Recorder
Thanks, good idea. I was thinking about using that program when creating tutorials but it should hopefully work for this also. The problem is that since its a realtime capture you machine needs to be able to simulate whatever effect you want and be able to encode and store the video at 30fps or so. Since if you loose a frame you sound will be messed up and in a 1280x720 resolution that's a lot of pixels to process.
I went around this problem for video only by integrating it into the program so it locks the framerate to 30fps and adjust all timers accordingly. Then came kkapture and it does it for you.
But I'll give CamStudio a try. I have a fast lossless video codec and SSD disks so I should have a chance at least.
@LittleWhite:
I updated the fire so it changes brightness to a damped version of the music beat also. It does add some extra to the fire.
@combatking0:
Then let me twist your mind even further. If you ignore the code required for the noise function. The fire effect is created by 2 lines of shader code.