Dark Bit Factory & Gravity

GENERAL => Projects => Topic started by: Raizor on October 21, 2011

Title: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Raizor on October 21, 2011
I've been playing around with Supershapes (http://paulbourke.net/geometry/supershape3d/ (http://paulbourke.net/geometry/supershape3d/)) this week.

I know they've been done to death a bit, but I thought it would be interesting to play with them and maybe come up with something new.

The code is still a work in progress, but I've got the shapes generating nicely (albeit with it with some weird inverted normals at one pole) and a phong lighting shader running over the top. Going to try and get some god rays and other stuff to make it more interesting and maybe try and make a 4k intro using it.

Loving GLSL so far :)



Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: hellfire on October 21, 2011
Nice!
With some slick sync it can be enough for a whole demo (proof (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=33721))...
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: LittleWhite on October 21, 2011
Looking nice :)

Have fun ;)
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Raizor on October 21, 2011
Thanks guys.

Hellfire, that demo is really nice! They certainly got their money's worth with that effect :)
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: jace_stknights on October 22, 2011
Very nice! Hope to be able to code something like that soon!
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Rbz on October 22, 2011
Nice work Raizor!

Is it done all in pixel shader or did you use polygons?

... and maybe try and make a 4k intro using it.
...
It seems that someone else already did it here (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=31132) and here (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=13020) ;), ofcourse doesn't mean you shouldn't do your own.
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Raizor on October 22, 2011
Thanks Jace and rbz.

Rbz, it's polygon based, just shaded using a pixel shader. This (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=57769) looks like another supershape 4k too. They're coming outta the goddamn walls! :)

I've seen some of your stuff on Pouet lately, nice work! They're really cool, especially the 1k stuff.

I'm trying to get my head around SSAO atm, so much new stuff to learn :P
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Shockwave on October 23, 2011
I really love the brushed metal look of the object Raizor, it truely looks great!
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: benny! on October 23, 2011
Uh, definately looking good. Keep us informed about your progress. Like it a lot.
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: neriakX on October 27, 2011
If only I could do something half cool than this ... respect! looking great.
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: relsoft on October 27, 2011
Awesome stuff!!!

Looking forward to the finished prod. ;*)
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: rain_storm on October 27, 2011
This is very interesting stuff. I am fascinated by supershapes, such a powerful tool to know how to use.
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: ferris on October 27, 2011
Nice one! Supershapes are really fun to play with. You're right that they've been used to death in the scene by now (especially in 4k's) but they're still damn nice :D
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Stonemonkey on January 31, 2012
Something went bang :(

Maybe something to do with shaders on my laptop.
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Raizor on January 31, 2012
Something went bang :(

Maybe something to do with shaders on my laptop.

More than likely it's my crappy shader code. I'll take another look at it and upload a fix if I can see anything wrong.
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Stonemonkey on January 31, 2012
Something went bang :(

Maybe something to do with shaders on my laptop.

More than likely it's my crappy shader code. I'll take another look at it and upload a fix if I can see anything wrong.

Don't be too sure, it's only a little netbook thing and looking at what's in it it's an 'Intel graphics media accelerator' whatever that is, dxdiag reports directx 9.0c
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Raizor on January 31, 2012
Ah, it's probably the netbook then ;)
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Kirl on February 01, 2012
I remember seeing this thread, but not the morphing shape, must've been in a hurry.

Cool stuff, how many poly's are on display there? A visible wireframe might work well too!  :kewl:
Title: Re: Shaders and Supershapes
Post by: Raizor on February 01, 2012
I remember seeing this thread, but not the morphing shape, must've been in a hurry.

Cool stuff, how many poly's are on display there? A visible wireframe might work well too!  :kewl:

About 20,000 triangles atm. I'm buffering the data to the GPU each frame, so it gets laggy if I do more than that. Probably time to spend a hour speeding this thing up a bit. I have some mesh distortion stuff I want to try so will do both at the same time. So many projects, so few finished projects ;)

Will give the wireframe a try :)