Dark Bit Factory & Gravity

PROGRAMMING => Freebasic => Topic started by: relsoft on May 04, 2006

Title: Glass tunnel
Post by: relsoft on May 04, 2006
Hey guys, would you test this for me so that I would know if it renders the way it should be?

http://rel.betterwebber.com/Temp/glassrefract.zip


Some people complained that some triangles get displaced withwich I have no idea because it renders in mine well.

PS. Can you post the Vid Card and the comp Specs?

thanks!!!
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Clyde on May 04, 2006
Looks awesome here dude, no clipping or triangle descrepenices at all. And thats testing on quite a poor spec gfx card at my parents house:

Pentium 4 1.50 Ghz
Nvidia Vanta
512 MB Ram

I will also test this out for you when I get back to my home PC later too buddy.

Wonderfull stuff,
Clyde.
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: zparticle on May 04, 2006
It looked okay to me, some of the closer polygons looked a bit odd when the tunnel changed shaped. They weren't out of place though. I let it run for a few minutes and then it suddenly crashed.

Win XP Pro v1.4a (SP 2)
P4 3.2GHz
2 Gigs RAM
RADEON X300 series video card 64 meg
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Ghost^BHT on May 04, 2006
Looks good for what I can see - but it ran way too fast on my office computer P4 2.8GHz - with Intel crap video  so it would seem you need some frame limiting code perhaps
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: relsoft on May 04, 2006
Thanks!!! The old DL had a timer problem.  I fixed it though. Download again and see if I really fixed it. :*)
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Stonemonkey on May 04, 2006
Nice but i do see some problems

http://www.stonemonkie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glassref.JPG

kind of like a spiders web and it's a lot more noticable when it's moving.

AMD @1.7GHz, radeon 9600
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Blitz Amateur on May 04, 2006
Well. It's very slow on my machine.
But my machine is a 400MHZ PIII with 182 MB of RAM and an ancient Trident video accelerator with 4 megs of video memory.
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Ghost^BHT on May 04, 2006
Still runs pretty fast here - I'll give it a try on my home machine tonight.
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Shockwave on May 04, 2006
Smooth as silk :) Interesting way of achieving a glass type effect, may look even better with some AA.

P4 3.0ghz
512 mb
Radeon X300 se 128mb.
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Clyde on May 04, 2006
Nice looking stuff there dude, I can see the glass overlay much more clearly now on my Home PC. Which is A Pentium 4 2.66Ghz with Geforce FX 5550.

Perhaps also try experimenting with different layers with transparency.

Sweet stuff,
Clyde.
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Rbz on May 04, 2006
Quote
kind of like a spiders web and it's a lot more noticable when it's moving.

Same here, I don't know if it was a bug or a feature   :D

Btw, nice work dude  :)

P4 2.8Ghz  512MB ram
Geforce 6600GT 128Ram
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Ghost^BHT on May 05, 2006
Ran nicely on my home machine - cool looking fer sure !   8)
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Clyde on May 05, 2006
It's a cool tunnel effect. What you'll often find from people who mostly code games, is that they dont really understand what graphical effects and demos are all about or should kinda look. Thats most probably why, your getting odd remarks.

This might be better suited in the Work In Progress area.

All the best, and a great looking effect.
Cheers Clyde.
Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: relsoft on May 05, 2006
Stonemonkey: It's supposed to show those spiderwebs. :*). The screenie looks fine here.

Clyde:  I made games myself but I just don't dabble on one particular school. I'm part democoder, part game programmer, part libmaker, etc. Kind of a jack of all trades (except music and art).  I guess some people just dont understand that democoding is a lot harder(at least mathemathecally) than gamecoding.

Title: Re: Glass tunnel
Post by: Stonemonkey on May 05, 2006
Ah ok, sorry relsoft.