Dark Bit Factory & Gravity

GENERAL => General chat => Topic started by: Shockwave on May 27, 2012

Title: AV software that doesn't suck
Post by: Shockwave on May 27, 2012
I had my last false positive from AVG yesterday so I uninstalled it in a fit of pique.

What (free, good, resource friendly) software is everyone using these days?
I'm half tempted not to bother installing anything but since my computer is used by the whole family it's probably not a good idea.
Title: Re: AV software that doesn't suck
Post by: padman on May 27, 2012
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials on my Win7 Laptop and find it quite ok. On my XP machine I have Avira Antivir which is okish as well, though rather paranoid regarding exe packers. But at least you can turn it off/on with one simple click on the task bar icon.
Title: Re: AV software that doesn't suck
Post by: Hotshot on May 27, 2012
I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware  and  Microsoft Security Essentials

Both are very good :)
Title: Re: AV software that doesn't suck
Post by: Raizor on May 27, 2012
I use Avast on a lot of my machines, it's free and can be configured to stay out of the way (sans popups and all that crap).
Title: Re: AV software that doesn't suck
Post by: jace_stknights on May 27, 2012
I'm also using Microsft internet security. Enought for basic internet (I'm not going on russian crack stuff ;D ), and it has several times found some trojans in stuff like demosfor real!
it is not so parano for compact exe like others anti virus apps.
Title: Re: AV software that doesn't suck
Post by: Jim on May 28, 2012
Another vote for MSE.  AVG, Avast and Avira have all disappeared up their own arseholes.

Jim
Title: Re: AV software that doesn't suck
Post by: zawran on May 28, 2012
I am rather happy with MS Essentials, it just seems to work, and it does not hog the computer at all. Also I do not want to pay for software like that because I feel that those companies who produce it has an interest in having the bad software flowing, so I feel that it should be something that the developer of the system software should handle, and MS is doing a fine job with it I think.
Title: Re: AV software that doesn't suck
Post by: Shockwave on May 28, 2012
I've gone for MSE.

Thanks guys!