Author Topic: [BMAX] Decompiling a .exe?  (Read 2899 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

  • Pentium
  • *****
  • Posts: 1390
  • Karma: 84
    • View Profile
[BMAX] Decompiling a .exe?
« on: October 28, 2008 »
I may have asked this before (and forgive me if I have forgotten the answer) but is it possible to somehow decompile a Bmax program back into the Bmax language? I have lost so much source code in my last computer crash.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline zawran

  • Sponsor
  • Pentium
  • *******
  • Posts: 909
  • Karma: 67
    • View Profile
Re: [BMAX] Decompiling a .exe?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008 »
Once compiled, its no longer Bmax code. It uses a c compiler to compile, so everything ends up as any other c code would and there is no direct way to get it back. It would be a lot of would I would think to decompile, analyze and then convert to Bmax syntax. This is the reason you can use c code directly within Bmax should you choose to do so.

So all in all probably not something anyone is willing to attempt. You really should try and implement a good backup plan using cd,dvd,usbsticks,usbhdd,etc.. Not that it helps you now with your current problem, but to prevent similar problems in future. I have an automated software running which syncronize my code folders to external hdd which has two disc where the files are duplicated. This ensures me to have my code on three seperate hdd, which should be secure enough, at least I hope.