Author Topic: textmode please test on vista  (Read 6660 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rain_storm

  • Here comes the Rain
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 3088
  • Karma: 182
  • Rain never hurt nobody
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
textmode please test on vista
« on: June 19, 2008 »
This is a tiny test to see if Vista at least attempts to emulate Dos Text Mode. As I dont have Vista myself I need someone who does to test for me.

The output should read 'HELLO WORLD' in multi colour with a square cursor blinking at position 5 down and 16 accross

If this does run please use escape key to exit and see if it does close for you

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Paul

  • Pentium
  • *****
  • Posts: 1490
  • Karma: 47
    • View Profile
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008 »
Hello World in lots of colours.

Works fine :)
I will bite you - http://s5.bitefight.se/c.php?uid=31059
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline rain_storm

  • Here comes the Rain
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 3088
  • Karma: 182
  • Rain never hurt nobody
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008 »
Sweet thanks Paul, Looks like ascii intros are the way forward for 256b on Vista. Great

Edit - does escape key exit the program?

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

  • good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 17427
  • Karma: 499
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008 »
Works fine on XP too and esc exits cleanly.
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

  • A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 7271
  • Karma: 71
    • View Profile
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008 »
Running the .com straight from the zip gives me.

Parameters are incorrect.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Paul

  • Pentium
  • *****
  • Posts: 1490
  • Karma: 47
    • View Profile
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008 »
No probs running from zip(7-zip) and quits as it should with esc
I will bite you - http://s5.bitefight.se/c.php?uid=31059
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline rain_storm

  • Here comes the Rain
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 3088
  • Karma: 182
  • Rain never hurt nobody
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008 »
Thanks guys that was a great help. Dunno what the error with the parameters was about. At least it runs on Vista the way its supposed to.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Jim

  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 5301
  • Karma: 402
    • View Profile
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008 »
Works for me on Vista :), so I am wrong about Vista 32bit not being able to run *any* 16bit code.  Vista 64bit definitely can't.

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

  • A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 7271
  • Karma: 71
    • View Profile
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008 »
Strange that it doesn't run for me.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline rain_storm

  • Here comes the Rain
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 3088
  • Karma: 182
  • Rain never hurt nobody
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008 »
Clyde is your system a 64bit machine or 32bit?


Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

  • A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 7271
  • Karma: 71
    • View Profile
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008 »
It's 32-Bit dude.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline rain_storm

  • Here comes the Rain
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 3088
  • Karma: 182
  • Rain never hurt nobody
    • View Profile
    • org_100h
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008 »
I googled around for that error message but cant find anything useful, very strange. Anyone know what "parameters are incorrect" might mean with regard the 16bit consoles.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline TinDragon

  • Pentium
  • *****
  • Posts: 644
  • Karma: 24
    • View Profile
    • J2K's blog
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008 »
runs fine for me from inside the .zip on vista 32bit as well, for clydes issue could it be something to do with SP1 for vista? I have it installed but not everyone has it yet.

The only downside I have found so far with demos on vista on this PC setup is anything below 640*480 = fail if it goes fullscreen but that is ofc more drivers to blame (yet most works on my xp comp lol)

I have almost always had trouble with the little 4k and smaller demos tho, 90% never seem to bloody work for me anyway  >:(

Offline Shockwave

  • good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 17427
  • Karma: 499
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: textmode please test on vista
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008 »
The only downside I have found so far with demos on vista on this PC setup is anything below 640*480 = fail if it goes fullscreen but that is ofc more drivers to blame (yet most works on my xp comp lol)

You can't even rely that smaller modes than 640 X 480 are available even on systems with XP.. Some graphics cards just won't display them at all.. I am a little bit sad about this.
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won: