Author Topic: Android Help  (Read 2887 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline staticgerbil

  • Atari ST
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
  • Karma: 8
    • View Profile
Android Help
« on: February 18, 2011 »
Hi guys,

I was going to post this on an Android forum but after reading a lot of the replies that were already there I thought I'd have more luck here :D

So, I got myself an Android phone to play with and a few hours in my Wi-Fi fails to start.  I'm now internetless on the device which means I can't download apps or even sync my contacts.

I'm just wondering if there is an app somewhere that works like iTunes / iStore so that I can download apps and sync gmail on my pc and then connect my phone to my pc via the USB cable and sync the phone with the pc.

That should remove the need for internet on my phone all together and I can start trying to enjoy my new toy.

I have a support ticket in with Motorola to try and sort the issue out but I want apps now :)

Offline benny!

  • Senior Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 4384
  • Karma: 228
  • in this place forever!
    • View Profile
    • bennyschuetz.com - mycroBlog
Re: Android Help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011 »
Hi,

you could go to alternative markets like http://www.getjar.com. There you can download
APK (=Android) files to your computer (and then you need to find a way to install those
on your Android device).

However, I strongly recommend that you fix the internet connectivity on your android
device since you need it for so many things.

Good luck,
benny!
[ mycroBLOG - POUET :: whatever keeps us longing - for another breath of air - is getting rare ]

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline staticgerbil

  • Atari ST
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
  • Karma: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Android Help
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011 »
Thanks benny,

I'll have a look at the alternate markets, mainly because I'm curious :)

I'm trying hard to get the Wi-Fi fixed.  I've contacted Motorola who, surprise surprise, asked me to take the battery out and do a factory reset.  I had already done that and apparently the next step for me is to contact the place I bought it, so I'm attempting that now. 

I'm hoping that being brand new I might just get a replacement.

For the moment I'll probably just go back to the iPhone until the mess clears itself up.

My first impressions are that it's a pretty nice OS.  I still think the iPhone is better but for < 50% of the cost Android is a very nice option.