Author Topic: Non-Working Downloads  (Read 5410 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Shockwave

  • good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 17427
  • Karma: 499
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
Non-Working Downloads
« on: November 12, 2011 »
Just a heads up, I've seen some posts recently that there are problems with downloading attachments from here with Firefox 8.

I even had a pm on facebook where a user was worried that the attachment contained a virus.

This is a known problem, you can find some suggestions to solve it here;

FF8 Download Problem

My suggestion is to vote with your feet and use a slimmer and more efficient browser like Chrome instead.. For me the only reason I still like Firefox are the developer tools, the rest of it has become bloatware imho.
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline benny!

  • Senior Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 4384
  • Karma: 228
  • in this place forever!
    • View Profile
    • bennyschuetz.com - mycroBlog
Re: Non-Working Downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011 »
Thanks for informing. I first thought it was a forum issue. But "good" to see it is "just" firefox.

... For me the only reason I still like Firefox are the developer tools, the rest of it has become bloatware imho.

Same here...
[ mycroBLOG - POUET :: whatever keeps us longing - for another breath of air - is getting rare ]

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

  • good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 17427
  • Karma: 499
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Non-Working Downloads
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011 »
The guy who messaged me on Facebook made a good point..

"How can it go from version 3 to version 8 in 10 months?"

It's hard to argue with that.
Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Moroboshisan

  • Senior Member
  • Amiga 1200
  • ********
  • Posts: 454
  • Karma: 18
  • C=64
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Working Downloads
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011 »
"that" guy is actually ME... ;)

anyway... my point about such a "versioning acceleration" could just explaind with some kind of: "hey ma! look! I'm at version 8 too!!!" rather than some REAL improvements on the background...

Offline Kirl

  • Senior Member
  • Pentium
  • ********
  • Posts: 1220
  • Karma: 231
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: Non-Working Downloads
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011 »
I thought it might've been an issue with MIME types. I once had something similar when trying to download a little test app I wrote for mobile phone from my site, it kept comming out as a .rar while the extension I uploaded was something else entirely (forgot what it was actually). My provider eventually fixed it for me by enabling this particukar extension.

www.kirl.nl
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Jim

  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 5301
  • Karma: 402
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Working Downloads
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011 »
Looks more like the Content-Disposition http header is being ignored - that tells the browser the filename to save a download as which was generated by a script or server (eg. php).

Jim
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011 by Jim »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Moroboshisan

  • Senior Member
  • Amiga 1200
  • ********
  • Posts: 454
  • Karma: 18
  • C=64
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Working Downloads
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011 »
Looks more like the Content-Disposition http header is being ignored - that tells the browser the filename to save a download as which was generated by a script or server (eg. php).

actually this seems to be the closest correct explanation of the behaviour.

I've given a try of Shockwave link

FF8 Download Problem

wiyhout any success... so this doesn't seem some kind of MIME-Type misconfiguration. Maybe we'll prompted for a fix in the next few days... or it just depends of some "soon to be deprecated tags" that FF felt some urge to adhere to.

I noticed the problem after having upgraded a Mac machine ... the fastest way to solve this problem should be downgrading to FF7 PRESTO!!! ;)

Offline slinks

  • A little bit strange
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 3964
  • Karma: 44
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Working Downloads
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011 »
Is there an easy way to go back to, say FF3 (the last time I remember it being not shit) and locking it from upgrading? Cause tbf, FF still has a load of nice features that I like (one or two of my add-ons, the multi-search bar and the customisable layout) and wouldn't really want to give up by switching to Chrome. I'm assuming there's a crack for it somewhere, anyone wiser than me on it?

EDIT: Found an old setup exe for ff3 stashed away on my hard-drive, but I'm curious to know if it'll just do a silly auto-update on me, or just keep hastling me to upgrade. May try it tomorrow when I'm not half-cut...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011 by slinks »
I love semi-colons way too much ^^;
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Jim

  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 5301
  • Karma: 402
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Working Downloads
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011 »
The auto-update is a recent thing.  Old versions don't do it.
Jim
Challenge Trophies Won: