Author Topic: Microsoft 7  (Read 13363 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ferris

  • Pentium
  • *****
  • Posts: 841
  • Karma: 84
    • View Profile
    • Youth Uprising Home
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009 »
I beta tested it (as I'm sure many others here did) and I personally love Win7, especially that sexy low-latency kernel :D

As far as 32 vs 64 bit, to me it's not much of an issue. I think what Jim said about ease of creating 64 bit programs is correct, though to me the difference is so minute.
http://iamferris.com/
http://youth-uprising.com/

Where the fun's at.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

  • A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 7271
  • Karma: 71
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009 »
I've enrolled on the beta testing of it too, but what I stupidly overlooked is that I need 1gb of RAM. doh!

Anyways, by the time I save up for a new pc they probably will of brought out a new wheel, using the 5th dimension.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

  • A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 7271
  • Karma: 71
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009 »
As they say, there's no harm in asking......
-----------------------------------------
Does anyone know if I can install Windows7 rc on my machine, see signature for specs. Even though I do not have 1gb of RAM?

Is there such a thing as external memory, i ask of this due to the type of memory I have to use costs the Earth ( DDR Ram I think -its the expensive kind i know that much ). And thought, perhaps there is something that is relatively cheaper, if such a thing exists. im not talking about USB pens.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Jim

  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 5301
  • Karma: 402
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009 »
I think it will work, some people have managed to install Windows 7 on a Pentium II-400 with 128Mb, but I don't know how much hacking was involved - apparently none.

External memory - no not really.  If you have DDR2 memory then that is really cheap, 1Gb of the crappiest DDR2 in Australia is $10, about 5 quid.  DDR is more expensive even though it's older.  I guess fewer factories are making it.  Yours is a desktop PC, right?  I guess it would handle four DDR2 dimms.

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Shockwave

  • good/evil
  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 17427
  • Karma: 499
  • evil/good
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009 »
Yours is a desktop PC, right?  I guess it would handle four DDR2 dimms.

Clyde, can you open your case, have a look at how many of the memory slots are used up?

Shockwave ^ Codigos
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ferris

  • Pentium
  • *****
  • Posts: 841
  • Karma: 84
    • View Profile
    • Youth Uprising Home
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009 »
Also note colors to see if dual-channel hookup is possible.

More on the subject, good news: Reason 4, Dev-C++ and [soon] Crinkler will all work on 7, so as soon as the new Crinkler's out I'm switching for good :)
http://iamferris.com/
http://youth-uprising.com/

Where the fun's at.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

  • A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 7271
  • Karma: 71
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009 »
I'll install casandra to give me exact details of what type of ram and how many slots are used up. just because of my back, it's a bit of a git to get to the back of it and fart about.

I didnt know that you could use other types of memory. I think i have sdram. but i will let you guys know.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Jim

  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 5301
  • Karma: 402
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009 »
You can't mix types of memory.  If it takes SDRAM (older even than DDR) then that's what it takes.
I bet you're right too.  I'm not sure it's possible to have only 256Mb of DDR!  Who's got some of this stuff stuck in their cupboard they don't need any more?

Here's a link to Sandra which will tell you http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

Jim
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009 by Jim »
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Clyde

  • A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 7271
  • Karma: 71
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009 »
Thanks for the link.

Ive got 4 slots or RIMM Banks which means my machine takes RDRAM. I've got 2 slots taken up with 256mb each, capacity of 2gb.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Jim

  • Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ********
  • Posts: 5301
  • Karma: 402
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009 »
Oh dear :( worst possible result.  RDRAM (Rambus RIMM) is rarer than hens' teeth, and 20x as expensive as DDR.

Jim
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline zawran

  • Sponsor
  • Pentium
  • *******
  • Posts: 909
  • Karma: 67
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009 »
Quote
Ive got 4 slots or RIMM Banks which means my machine takes RDRAM.

If thats the case, then I would suggest, that you save up a little bit of money and buy a new computer all together. Its just not worth the money to update.

Offline Clyde

  • A Little Fuzzy Wuzzy
  • DBF Aficionado
  • ******
  • Posts: 7271
  • Karma: 71
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 7
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009 »
Yeah I'd love a new pc, sadly im going to have to stick to this old dog for a couple more years.
Still Putting The IT Into Gravy
If Only I Knew Then What I Know Now.

Challenge Trophies Won: