Author Topic: Lots more remakes  (Read 6508 times)

Offline KrazyK

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
    • KrazyK Remakes
Lots more remakes
« on: August 14, 2015 »
I've finished a pile of cracktro remakes recently as i've had a month off before I start a new job.  I doubt i'll have much time once I start on Monday to do more in the near future. So, here goes:

Atari legend - Spirit of Adventure.           Nice  3D filled cube.  Starts off black so be patient!
Blue Software CD 107.                            Starfiled with a nice (complicated to code) font writer
Cobra CD 27.                                          Starfield with vectorball numbers + reflection.
Lemmings 25.                                         Fullscreen rasters, scrolltext, moving VU boxes, bouncing sprites
Lemmings 26.                                         Scrolltext and lots of coloured 3d boxes. No sprites were used in the making of this remake!
Pure Energy 36.                                      Multicoloured vectorball waving square + reflection.

Here's the dropbox link to the zips as I can't post more then 10 files.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ly75e06g7jkjs2a/AAACFJ7_1aI9Ha8HN9SrGudia?dl=0

Phew....
 :P
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
Re: Lots more remakes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015 »
Woah! Great stuff! I especially love the text writer of the BSW remake and the cubes in Lemmings 26. Well done!  :clap:
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline KrazyK

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
    • KrazyK Remakes
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015 »
Thanks, I thought about making a library for Purebasic of the textwriter on the BSW menu but I can't even understand my own code after looking at it again.  ::)  That one will take some commenting when I get round to it.
The 3D cubes on Lemmings is a library I made though so I can post that if it's of any use to anyone.?
 I also have some unfinished remakes that are bugging me at the moment, particularly one of the Aggression menus with a huge scrolltext that bounces in sync with a sound channel.  I've got it very close, but it's not quite right.   It'll come to me eventually though..  ;D

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Hotshot

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015 »
I love BSW Letters on how they display and really good.

All Great Demo there... :clap:

Well Done :)

Offline padman

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015 »
The 3D cubes on Lemmings is a library I made though so I can post that if it's of any use to anyone.?

I wouldn't mind if you posted it! ;)
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline ttemper

• Atari ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015 »
As usual, some great remakes there. Nice one once again. :)

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015 »
The original ones worked with an 68k below 10 Mhz, the remakes do not work on my retro-pc; what do they require?
It's very cool that the old cracktro's/intro's are ported to windows !!!
Are there any chances that they might run on my retro-PC ?

Retro-Stuff that workes fine:
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=4485

My machine:
- Celeron 400 (66FSB Slot1) 128K Fast Cache
- Microsoft Windows 98se (DX6.1 installed)
- 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 16MB (DX6.1 driver installed)

Greetings
Doc

Offline KrazyK

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
    • KrazyK Remakes
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015 »
Unfortunately they will not work on your retro PC as they require DirectX 9 to start with.
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015 »
Do you see any chances to release or port then to dx6 or do they require much more cpu-power than my machine ?

Thx
Doc

Offline KrazyK

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
    • KrazyK Remakes
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015 »
Sorry, there isn't going to be any re-writing for DX6 as PureBasic doesn't support it.  I think you're going to miss out on a lot of the stuff on here using that old machine.  :-\
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015 »
so please tell me, what is needed to watch them :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015 by dr.zeissler »

Offline KrazyK

• Amiga 1200
    • View Profile
    • KrazyK Remakes
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015 »
I have a number of different PCs and laptops that I use that all run these intros fine, but they all have Win7/10 with +4Gb ram.
I don't know the minimum spec which they run ok at but I did have a crappy desktop pc at work with XP and 2GB ram with a poor inbuilt intel video adapter and my previous stuff ran ok on that - just.
That's probably the minimum spec i've ran anything on.
I'm sure others here could confirm if they've tried other lower setups.

Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015 »
OK, so I will have to check out the dependencies by myself.
I can go up to DX9 win win98se, I also have Win2k installed that will also do DX9, under Win2k the V3-Driver is DX7 ready.
http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

The fastest "Retro-Machine" I own has about 1Ghz. It is currently not used, but if I can't get anything to work with 400Mhz I have to do it with the 1Ghz machine.

Doc 

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016 »
Recently I found some very old Scene-Stuff for MSDOS from around 1989-1993...I tested some things and I was speechless.
Some Programmers could do varios effects and music with 286/8Mhz!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic!

Never thought that some homecomputer-coders (amiga/atari) did such great things for the early PC's.

btw...Today most things look ugly, perform bad but demand the fastest gfx-card, the biggest cpu and the newest os. that's stupid.

This one is an example: https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=4126 (runs with ET4000 on Amiga BB A2286/286 8 Mhz)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016 by dr.zeissler »

Offline Rbz

• Founder Member
  • DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rbraz.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016 »

btw...Today most things look ugly, perform bad but demand the fastest gfx-card, the biggest cpu and the newest os. that's stupid.

This one is an example: https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=4126 (runs with ET4000 on Amiga BB A2286/286 8 Mhz)
Nice indeed.
IMHO, people today don't have time to spend on optimization anymore, things changes so fast and there's alot to do and see (I blame the internetz :)). You know, on that period of time, kids had a lot of free time and machine hardware were more or less standard (amiga/atari).
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Stonemonkey

• Pentium
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016 »
Yep, I would say competitiveness to push what they could out of more standard hardware drove a lot forward and things have changed with everyone having varying hardware, there's maybe still a similar philosophy with some categories like 4k or 64k though.

Offline dr.zeissler

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016 »
The old RAZOR producions were mostly stunning. https://razor1911.com/demo/index.php?menu=products&platform=dos
The linked Lemmings Cracktro one also works with 286/8/ET4K/SB and it's FANTASTIC!

Seems to be the coder? http://archive.is/www.lkcc.org or better https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.lkcc.org/hetero/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016 by dr.zeissler »

Offline boogop

• C= 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016 »

It bugs me to no end that optimization is such a lost art. I work in c#/GDI with no other framework, so for say the Halloween compo I start on my stuff in the summer because October is going to  be spent optimizing. This stuff HAS  to blaze! For a fractal zoomer I had to get into the IL to see what the compiler was emitting and adjust crap accordingly. But I work as a coder and people have no idea about optimization anymore  :telloff:

IMHO, people today don't have time to spend on optimization anymore, things changes so fast and there's alot to do and see (I blame the internetz :)). You know, on that period of time, kids had a lot of free time and machine hardware were more or less standard (amiga/atari)./quote]
Challenge Trophies Won:

Offline Optimus

• DBF Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Optimouse Demo Site
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016 »
Well, yes, why optimize when you can make dem plasma in 4k code on your I7?

No, seriously though, I think about how much more powerful the PC CPU is than we think. I can do software rendering on UltraHD for the simple stuff, but it's just compiled C++ code to X86. And still I haven't used multithreading, I didn't thought about using vectorization, I have a plan to try these for some effects. With just single core I7, some pixel effects still run fairly well even in 4k, imagine if I pushed this thing.

I keep thinking it about when I struggle with much older machines, Z80 CPC and I think it's impossible and then I push it, and it can go more and more.
Oneday I thought 386dx is slow sometimes, then I had to struggle with some 3DO ARM 12.5mhz and I had to realize some new ideas for optimization (and still no asm yet, just cleverly optimized C) and I still discovered after years the old effects could be pushed, new interesting ways. So, now going back to 386dx I feel much  more confident. Then I imagine what we could do if we push the new machines. Old machines makes you learn to push it.

And I think, what happens with programs and the web for example, which is build upon layers, over layers, over layers, how much cycles per step is wasted. And that's another thing now, I was watching one Jonathan Blow's talk where he lamented about this, I am also inspired by the handmade manifesto thing ( https://killscreen.com/articles/people-trying-save-programming/ ).

Anyway, maybe I just like the feeling of how much more precious are old hardware, what they could do if you programmed them well. When someone has his new android being unresponsive, clicking somewhere and waiting several cycles, and then you tell him CPC 4mhz, he would extrapolate into something where you would type a character and you would wait for 8 minutes to render. But it's not that slow. When I extrapolate what's possible on 8bits from demosceners and thing of my modern PC or even my PC 15 years ago, this is a lot, that gives me thrills of what's possible and how we give some good spirit to these machines with software.
Challenge Trophies Won: